|Job Type:||Full Time|
The core Azure Compute team is seeking a highly motivated, technical, and talented Principal Program Manager to continue delivering our Azure/Autopilot platform software, the foundation of Microsoft Cloud. As part of this team, you will work directly with core Azure engineering teams to deliver intelligent, massively scalable, automated solutions that give our first and third-party customers world class infrastructure to run their mission critical services. You will advance the state-of-the-art core Azure platform to manage server clusters hosting Azure and Autopilot workloads running on millions of servers. You will partner with all Microsoft first-party engineering teams (AI Core, Bing, Cortana, Office, Exchange, Xbox Online, xCloud, Teams to name a few) to build and run planet scale services on the Microsoft Cloud.
To help customers world over achieve their goals, Azure continues to build the largest global footprint of any Cloud provider with 56 regions live and many more in the pipeline. As an increasing number of customers and partners make their switch to the cloud, it’s critical that we deliver the necessary innovation to be the cloud platform of choice, while continuing to lower our operating costs. Azure Compute provides the foundation for Microsoft's vision to build Azure as the "World's Computer" and so the responsibility and potential for impact here is huge!
The right candidate is data-driven and someone who thrives on Microsoft's leadership principles; provide clarity, generate excitement, make things happen. If you love finding simple, elegant solutions for complex, technical problems then this could be the position for you!
- Craft a vision for your area of ownership. Use data and necessary insights to rally the organization around that vision.
- Take ownership of end-to-end business scenario; problem definition, solutions and technical strategy.
- Strive to generate clarity and drive alignment.
- Take a structural approach in solving complex problems. Communicate to senior decision makers in a clear and compelling way.
- Work with core Azure platform engineering teams to build Azure's control plane that manages the Microsoft Cloud infrastructure.
- Enable Microsoft first-party divisions to build and run services on Azure and where required help transition to newer Azure offerings.
- Engage in stellar cross group collaboration, able to drive decisive action in partnership with others in a large and diverse organization and deliver results that depend on other divisions and partners.
- Define targets for key business KPIs, and track and report progress on them.
- Define and implement quality of service and SLA metrics for platforms and services that you will own.
- Improve resource utilization efficiency of core Azure platform services and first-party services running on top of Azure.
- 8+ years of software industry experience working as a technical program manager or product manager.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, or related field, OR equivalent industry experience.
- Experience in distributed systems, building large scale platforms, and cloud technologies.
- Proven ability to discuss distributed computing topics with technical, non-technical, and executive audiences.
- Domain knowledge about cloud datacenter infrastructure and environment.
- Strong track record of self-directed execution.
- Experience building and/or using Container platform technologies, such as Kubernetes or Docker.
- Experience building Deployment orchestration platforms.
- Experience around general software-based automation and large data analytics.
- Scripting and/or programming skills in C#, R, Python, or PowerShell.
- Hands on experience with data analytic tools (such as Power BI, SQL).
- Ability to be strategic, but also drive tactics and execution as needed.
- Exceptional collaboration and communication skills, including presentation skills.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check. This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.