|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Samsara is searching for a resourceful and ambitious Employment Counsel to help build our Legal Team. Though you will focus on the company’s employment matters, you will also take on a broad range of other legal issues, including customer contracts, compliance, and product counseling. The ideal candidate is highly self-motivated and capable of managing a big workload. You must have a strong background in employment work.
As our first employment attorney, you will be responsible for building the global employment function on the Legal Team. You will focus much of your time partnering with the People Team and managers throughout the organization. You will provide pragmatic advice to the business, enabling growth and helping us build for the long term. You will negotiate and draft employment and non-employment related policies and contracts and help navigate sensitive issues. You have the instincts of a litigator and the heart of a mediator. You are a strong advocate for Samsara and its employees, pushing for fairness, diversity, and an inclusive workplace. You are an independent yet collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. You enjoy working with people, even in difficult situations. You focus on the details, and you also have the broad vision to bring large and multi-stepped projects to completion. We want you to be independent, always considering new ideas and questioning entrenched modes of thought. We want you to be a force-multiplier, making those around you more effective.
In this role, you will:
- Scope and build the employment function and infrastructure on the Legal Team
- Draft and implement employment policies and procedures
- Serve as a primary legal partner to the People Team
- Work closely with outside counsel as needed
- Answer questions and offer legal advice on a wide range of legal issues across the company, including contracts, product counseling, and compliance
- Exercise initiative and creativity in solving challenges and accomplishing business goals
- Support ad hoc legal requests of almost every size and type
- Work with leadership to drive strategic business and legal initiatives across the company
An ideal candidate has:
- 4 or more years of experience in a law firm or in-house position focused on employment litigation and counseling
- Attorney in good standing in the United States
- Excellent communicator, project manager, and team player
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers
- Adaptable, flexible and creative
- Aptitude for maintaining strong working cross-functional relationships
- A practical and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature, and calm under fire
- In-house experience at a tech company
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.