|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the Role
Samsara is searching for a resourceful and ambitious lawyer to help build out the Company’s regulatory and policy function. In this role, you will tackle complex regulatory and policy issues, but may also take on a broad range of other legal issues, including commercial contracts, product counseling, and customer support escalations. You will have a strong background in regulatory and policy work, and also feel comfortable taking on new substantive areas and challenges. Experience working in or closely with government agencies, or in an in-house regulatory capacity, strongly preferred. Any experience with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and/or the electronic logging device (ELD) mandate, would be a strong plus.
You are someone who loves to dive into the details of a statute or regulation to untangle a thorny problem and can also communicate those complexities to the business in a digestible way. You enjoy interfacing with regulators and government officials, but also with sales, product, and engineering. You have solid judgment, with a refined risk tolerance and an intuitive feel for how to best interface with multi-layered bureaucracies. You must be a strong and persuasive writer, whether in email, policy memos, or legal briefs. Your diligence, judgment, and discretion make you a trusted counterpart in sensitive environments.
This role requires an independent yet collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and who can work across multiple teams. We value individuals who are always willing to consider new ideas and do not fall prey to entrenched modes of thought. We want you to be a force-multiplier; making those around you more effective. You have strong communication and interpersonal skills and are comfortable in stressful situations. You focus on the details, and you also have the broad vision to bring large and multi-stepped projects to completion.
In this role, you will:
- Scope and help build out the regulatory function on the Legal Team, and contribute broadly to the growth and success of the Legal Team
- Track relevant policy developments and devise and implement strategies to use policy to drive business objectives
- Provide support to Product, Engineering, and Customer Support on issues relating to regulatory compliance, including in EMEA and Latin America
- Interface with federal and state regulators, on issues spanning electronic logging device mandate compliance, hours of service regulations, privacy, and more
- Answer questions and offer legal advice on a wide range of legal issues across the company, including contracts, product counseling, privacy, and compliance
- Exercise initiative and creativity in solving challenges and accomplishing business goals
- Work with leadership to drive strategic business and legal initiatives across the company
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
An ideal candidate has:
- Attorney in good standing in the United States
- Excellent communicator, project manager, and team player
- Clear, concise, and persuasive writing style
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers
- Adaptable, flexible, and creative
- Aptitude for developing and maintaining strong working cross-functional relationships
- A practical and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature, and calm under fire
- 4+ years of experience in a law firm, government, or in-house position
- Strong regulatory and/or policy background; experience with FMCSA and/or DOT a big plus
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.