|Job Type:||Full Time|
Cloud & AI’s Kernel Core team is looking for a developer to help us build the next generation of features in the Windows kernel.
You're an engineer passionate about low-level systems programming with a record of independently developing, testing, and shipping high-quality software. In this role, you'll collaborate with teams throughout Microsoft and with processor and device manufacturers to build a kernel that provides
- Great performance for virtualization-based features like Windows Sandbox and Windows 10X containers
- The foundation of a highly reliable host OS for the Azure fleet
- Long battery life for Surface devices
- A powerful development platform for the next generation of Xbox devices
- Flexible tuning options for IoT, high-performance networking, professional audio, and gaming scenarios
- The ability to take full advantage of the latest improvements in processor technology, providing improved security and performance
Our team supports these projects through its work on the Windows thread scheduler, the kernel's process and thread management modules, the Windows registry, user- and kernel-mode synchronization primitives, and the kernel's internal interfaces to its host hardware.
The kernel team has a tradition of engineering excellence and of helping our engineers learn, grow, and develop their skills. We're excited to learn how you can be part of this tradition while advancing Microsoft's mission and our OS technology.
- Write and test reliable, fast, and scalable kernel features
- Collaborate with partners throughout Microsoft to design kernel interfaces to make our kernel the best possible home for Azure, Office, Xbox, and server workloads
- Work with processor and hardware vendors to teach the kernel to leverage new hardware features
- Diagnose and debug problems ranging from end user performance issues to Azure host reliability bugs while mastering our full array of debugging and performance analysis tools
- Contribute to the kernel team’s culture of learning, personal growth, and engineering excellence
- 2 + years of experience and proficiency with C/C++
- Familiarity with systems programming concepts (e.g. multithreaded programming and synchronization, paging and virtual memory), basic computer architecture, kernel development, Windows driver development, Windows debugging, and/or Windows performance analysis a plus
- At least 2 years' experience developing, testing, and debugging production software (which may include large academic projects and coursework)
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.