|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Infrastructure Engineer to join our San Francisco-based Infrastructure team. The Samsara Infrastructure team's goal is to continually improve the reliability, performance, observability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and microservices that power Samsara’s cloud platform. We seek to create foundations that our product teams can build upon to experiment and iterate on new products and features rapidly.
You’ll be on a team that maintains a product we provide to the rest of engineering, like storage, container orchestration, and ingestion. You’ll make decisions with a significant impact on Samsara. There is a lot of work to do to make Samsara engineers’ work easier and our platform even more reliable than it is today, and we’d love for you to be part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems, so we constantly get feedback that we can use to make them better.
In this role, you will:
- Develop software and tools for creating and managing hundreds of microservices and databases.
- Continuously improve our Observability stack and collaborate with product teams to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and optimize performance.
- Build infrastructure to support the development of highly available real-time streaming infrastructure that collects data from Samsara’s connected devices.
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 4+ years of experience on infrastructure-focused teams.
- Strong programming/coding fundamentals.
- Experience working with web services deployed on Cloud providers such as AWS or Azure.
An ideal candidate also has:
- Has 4+ years of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Experience write high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Ruby, Scala, Go).
- Knows your way around a UNIX shell.
- Enjoys thinking about systems - their life cycles, edge cases, and failure modes.
- Enjoys working collaboratively with developers of different focuses (frontend, mobile, firmware, vision, etc).
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.