|Job Type:||Full Time|
343 Industries is looking for a Technical Animation Director to join our team, working on Halo Infinite. As the Technical Animation Director, you are central to driving the design and development of our Animation technology, with the vision & experience to deliver state of the art workflows and run-time animation systems that enable compelling and believable animation in our game engine. You will manage a team of technical animators and help bridge the gap between our animation team and animation developers with the goal of designing the systems and workflows that empower our animation team to bring our world alive and help us build an immersive, exciting Halo experience.
You must also have the technical skills to support animators, designers and developers and have a passion for both animation technology and character driven games. If you’re a passionate, talented and driven Technical Animation Director who wants to work on a team investing big in the future on one of the most exciting franchises in the industry, this is where you should be.
- Help define, create and maintain the animation pipeline and toolsets from Maya/Motionbuilder to our game engine.
- Partner with the Animation Director, Leads, Programmers and UX designers to help implement solutions and tools that increase animation quality and performance.
- Partner with our internal engine team to improve upon existing UI’s and/or develop new solutions to improve animation workflow efficiency.
- Author custom animation tools in Maya/Motionbuilder via MEL/Python.
- Work directly with Animators, Technical Animators and programmers to troubleshoot our proprietary animation tools and pipelines.
- Work in our proprietary in-game animation tool to bring our characters to life by designing and building complex motion trees, layering, and blending systems.
- Grow and manage a team of technical animators
- Tools development, training and documentation for the animation team
Required Experience and Skillset:
- 1 or more shipped game titles
- Art-related degree and/or comparable professional experience.
- 5+ years experience working in a real-time game engine.
Preferred Experience and skillset:
- 5+ years’ game industry experience working on the technical side of Animation in games on one or more shipped game titles.
- Demonstrable experience designing and driving the implementation of real-time animation systems and technology.
- Previous leadership and/or management experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates technical animation experience in any of the following areas: Maya, Motionbuilder, node graphs, animation trees, similar engine editors and 3rd party animation technologies.
- Expert knowledge of AAA animation pipelines, tools, software and 3rd party solutions.
- Maya, Motionbuilder, MEL Scripting, Python, C# or programming experience
- Experience implementing animation in game engines such as Unreal, Unity, or other proprietary in-game animation engines with a thorough understanding of blend trees, IK, state machines, tagging, and scripting
- Knowledge of performance capture pipelines, processes and data manipulation
- Prior tools development, training and documentation experience.
- Passion for making groundbreaking games, with an appreciation of current industry trends.
- Experience creating applications and tools with C# or C++ is a bonus
- Experience with Motion Capture and Performance Capture systems/pipelines.
- Experience working in Feature Animation and/or Game Cinematic pipelines/toolsets.
- Proficiency with dynamic IK, physics (Havok) and rigging / animation for use with those systems
- Experience with ragdoll/character physics setup
- Strong understanding of the principles of animation and how best to adapt those to create believable characters and experiences.
- Production animation experience
- A passion for the Halo Universe.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.