|Job Type:||Full Time|
343 Industries, part of Microsoft Studios, is home to the industries top talent and we have one single mission: Build great HALO experiences. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make HALO what it is today. And we need exceptional people to help us achieve that goal.
343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated and highly experienced Technical Art Lead for our Environment Art Team.
This role will specialize in delivering key technologies, rendering techniques and workflows enabling environment artists to quickly and non-destructively build large-scale game levels. The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of modern, editor centric construction processes, pipelines and tools specifically for environments. A strong eye for Art Quality is required. You are knowledgeable and up to date on modern trends in real time shaders and lighting for large scale environments. Additionally, you will have deep knowledge of run time art optimization and performance for environments to run at expected frame rates, fit within memory and disk footprints that will deliver on the expected visual quality.
The role is expected to be extremely creative and highly collaborative. You will work closely with Lead Environment Artists, Tool\Engine Developers, Game Design, Technical Artists and Technical Art Directors to ensure the best game experience possible at the highest visual quality.
The ideal candidate must be highly effective and positive in ambiguous situations, able to self-motivate to high performance, manage your time effectively and react quickly to changing requirements.
- Identify artist workflow and technology needs for the creation of large-scale environments
- Prototype features, tools and workflows for the environment art team
- Work with engineers to develop key workflows, tools, run time and rendering features for artists
- Partner with Production to plan and coordinate tasks for Technical Artists
- Ensure all environment technical guidelines and performance requirements are met
- Constantly improve and advocate for best in class content creation and production practices
- Mentor Technical Environment Art staff
- Work through ambiguity while still delivering timely and high-quality results
- Actively seeks out, incorporates, and provides feedback to and from peers
- Maintain high motivation and contribute to a positive working environment
- 10+ years of technical art experience for console or PC games
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 10+ years specializing in technical art for game environments on console and PC
- 7+ years of developing in Python, C# and\or HLSL
- 5+ years as a Technical Art Lead or Technical Art Director role
- Thorough understanding of modern environment art construction processes and methods
- Experience with modern game engines (UE4, Unity, Frostbite, Snowdrop, etc.)
- Experience with performance debugging tools and processes
- Deep knowledge of PBR, shaders, lighting pipelines, workflows and tools
- Understand foundational art skills like light, shade, color, form and detail
- Knowledgeable with industry standard software like Maya, 3D Studio Max, Substance Designer and Houdini
- Highly organized with excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Excellent Time management, Creative Process and Production Process skills
- Experience developing with C++ and\or LUA
- Experience working with large and diverse teams while developing at scale
- Experience working on FPS or sci-fi games
- Procedural or Machine Learning techniques applied to environment authoring
All candidates must deliver a full resume with samples to be considered for this position.
Portfolio review and presentation will be required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.