|Location:||Redmond, Washington, United States|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
For many businesses, data is one of their most valuable assets. Data can be used to identify patterns, predict behaviors, and provide business insights. Information that used to be discarded because it was too expensive to store is now being held indefinitely – thanks largely to the economies of the cloud!
The Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) organization is a team of software engineers that work with customers to make the impossible possible. From our largest customers to strategic startups, we work side-by-side in a code-with manner to help accelerate their cloud adoption – applying sound engineering practices and gathering insights for our product groups along the way.
We are looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer with a background in – and passion for – data to join the CSE Data Technology Domain – a group of data professionals within the larger CSE organization that are driven to make Azure the best place for our customer’s data workloads.
Among the team’s responsibilities are:
- Engaging directly with customers on their mission-critical data workloads
- Developing deep technical relationships with the Azure Data product groups, becoming the trusted “voice of the customer” in engineering discussions
- Using technical feedback from data workloads from across CSE to drive improvements into Azure data offerings
- Extracting relevant learnings and patterns from customer engagements and sharing those learnings with the world
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Providing subject matter expertise to the entire CSE organization in the form of:
- Short-term non-coding engagements (such as design and scoping sessions)
- Targeted sprints (1 – 2 weeks) working with a development team to provide specific data knowledge to the project
- Longer-term (3 – 6 week) embedding with a development team to provide more generalized data experience
- Owning the technical relationship with one or more Azure Data product groups
- Processing technical feedback and driving that feedback into Azure engineering to influence product direction
- Participating in organization-wide projects and steering committees
- At least 10+ years of hands-on experience architecting and implementing complex data solutions
- At least 3+ years of experience with one or more of the following data technology areas: OLTP/Relational Databases, Data Warehousing, OLAP/Reporting/BI, NoSQL, “Big Data”, Data Governance
- At least 3+ years of experience with Core Cloud Computing Concepts (Compute/Networking/Storage/Identity)
- Outside the Box Thinking – You will be presented with problems to solve where you will need to work around gaps in the target platform
- Ability to Navigate through Ambiguity – We often have to dig in to learn all of the details of a potential solution
- Communication – You will be asked to have technical discussions with both early in career developers and C-level executives – often in the same setting
- Prioritization – At the principal level you will need to handle multiple active customer projects at the same time, and prioritization between them will be key to success
Experience in the following will be beneficial:
- DevOps for Data
- Open Source Software Contributions
- Written Content Creation/Publication
- Conference Presentation Development/Delivery
We are a team that likes to “lead by example” and collaborate on how to get things done. We would rather try something and learn from it than wait for things to happen around us. If this sounds like the place for you, we’d like to hear more!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.