|Job Type:||Full Time|
In Cloud + AI at Microsoft, we are developing technologies that will revolutionize how people interact with each other and their environments. The Azure Machine Learning Team provides enterprise-grade machine learning service to build and deploy models faster. Our goal is to empower data scientists and ML professionals to build, train, deploy, and monitor scalable machine learning models. So that they can accelerate time to market and foster team collaboration with industry-leading MLOps—DevOps for machine learning, and innovate on a secure, trusted platform, designed for responsible AI. To bring this vision to fruition, we need an experienced Principal Design Manager to lead our team of designers and user researchers to create cutting edge UX, services and tools across our machine learning offering.
You will be part of the Azure Machine Learning design team, leading a team of UX/UI designers and user researchers. You will work directly with AI product PM and engineering teams to research, design, and implement user-focused, ML capabilities. Primary responsibility will be to build and grow the team, establish clear career paths with measurable goals, and mentor individual team member growth. The role will also include establishing strategic UX direction and prioritizing product design deliverables, talent resourcing, and budgets for the team.
Success for this role will be measured by your ability to build and support the team to improve key metrics within Microsoft’s AI developer ecosystem, and a lead the team in delivering a strong pipeline of product team partnerships & engagements that result in shipping products. You’ll do this by managing the team to collaborate across a diverse set of disciplines, while developing a positive work environment that fosters inclusivity and a growth mindset.
Critical to this role will be to inspire those around you, empathetic people management skills, the ability to be comfortable in extremely ambiguous environments, break down large & complex problems into solvable chunks, and a desire to innovate in a new space.
- Defining and driving people management responsibilities for individual team members and across the team
- Evaluating and hiring multi-disciplinary talent to build and grow the team
- Creating an invigorating and positive work environment and culture
- Driving deep engagements with product teams on product design
- Monitoring and holding product teams accountable to recommendations
- Representing the Azure Machine Learning in executive & product team reviews
- Creating guidelines, best practices, and repeatable design patterns
- Creating and maintaining a scalable engagement framework that maximizes the reach and product impact of the Cognitive Services design team
- 5-10 years of people management experience, including demonstrated ability building teams from scratch
- Understanding of artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques and concepts.
- Experience in HCI, user experience design, and implementation
- Expertise building scalable partner engagement processes
- Experience educating, partnering, & influencing product teams
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary, start-up team environment where you’ll be expected to wear multiple hats and move frequently between projects.
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines, while maintaining excellent communication.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.