|Job Type:||Full Time|
ClearlyDefined is an open source, OSI project that helps make sure open source software is used appropriately by making sure the licenses are easily discoverable. Microsoft is looking for someone to help lead our ClearlyDefined efforts. Would you like to work on open source compliance? Would you like to work with companies, projects and an open source community? Do you like being part technical architect, part community manager and part evangelist? If so, we would love to talk to you about how open source compliance is making it easier for projects to know their software is being used according to their wishes and easier for companies to know what they need to do to comply with them.
The Microsoft Open Source Programs Office is a small, multi-disciplinary team that works across the company to help Microsoft participate successfully with open source software.
We are hiring a Senior open source software developer/community manager to work on ClearlyDefined. Your responsibilities will include:
- Working with the community and users to develop a vision and roadmap of key ideas and features that solve user problems.
- Working with external open source community members to design new features, get feedback, answer questions, address concerns, and communicate changes on an ongoing basis.
- Leading by example within the team by producing simple, extensible, and maintainable code.
- Managing existing infrastructure in Azure to keep services running robustly and reliably.
- Implementing new features that solve users’ changing needs.
- Diving deep on data and insights that expose trends, highlight successes, and reveal opportunities for improvement in our open source engagement.
- Collaborating closely with enterprise engineering teams using, contributing to, and releasing open source to understand their compliance tooling needs.
- Partnering with other teams in compliance tooling as well as senior leadership to define how tooling and processes can make compliance easier. Collaborating with industry peers to address the needs of large organizations doing open source
We are looking for someone deep understanding of how open source works with software engineering experience. We believe that an interest and ability to dive into data and gain insights from multiple sources, thinking holistically, and bringing together many divergent pieces into a coherent whole will be key to the role’s success.
2-3 years of open source software experience.
2-3 years’ experience working with online open source software projects or remote teams where communication is done primarily in writing.
We are looking for someone experienced in open source software, comfortable working with modern software tools (e.g., Node and Azure) in a dynamic environment. Someone who understands how to employ scrum and agile techniques to stay focused and productive in the face of change. Someone who thrives on cross-team collaboration, enjoy openness and diversity and use great communication and presentation skills to convey you’re their message.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.