|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you aspire to be a lifelong learner and collaborator? Are you someone who is excited to learn the details of key technologies and how to use them effectively? Do you like to share that knowledge with others to help them meet their objectives and increase your impact?
The Microsoft Office 365 Performance Team is looking for a Software Engineer that can help us succeed in making the Office 365 suite of services run smoothly. The Performance Team is responsible for improving service quality by ensuring that every user interaction is quick and responsive. We work with feature teams across the entire suite of services to help them track how their code is performing and provide guidance on how to make it better.
As a part of this team, you will design and build big data systems that can process petabytes of data to extract valuable insights from every available metric and signal. You will build diagnostic tools that enable engineering teams to analyze their code and how it behaves in production. You'll explore all layers of the system from networking, operating system, platform and feature to find critical sources of inefficiency. You will work broadly across the organization and support multiple teams to help them achieve their objective to land critical features that delight our customers.
Prior experience in a performance engineering role is preferred but not a requirement. If you are ready to learn and love to solve challenging problems; we would love to hear from you.
- Build and maintain systems that process and report system performance characteristics
- Design tools that provide insight into the health of critical components
- Analyze the behaviors of service components to isolate sources of inefficiency
- Learn the inner workings of established and emerging technology so that you can use that knowledge to improve the service and provide value to customers and partners
- Balance the trade-offs of memory, compute, storage and bandwidth to engineer solutions that are fast and efficient.
- Use math, statistics and reason to come up with solutions that maximize algorithmic efficiency.
- 2 years of professional software development experience in C# or C/C++
- Strong design, implementation, and debugging skills
- BS/BA in computer science, or equivalent in related technical experience
- Experience with distributed systems, performance analysis, databases, and/or large-scale data processing
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Familiarity with data cubes, warehousing and analysis services
- Experience with SQL, web development and Azure
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.