|Location:||Redmond, Washington, Reston, Virginia|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Service Engineers are responsible supporting The Enterprise product installed and managed in the customer's virtualization environment.
In this role your interaction with the customer may depend on the scenario and could include responding to customer issues via web interface, email, phone, chat or on-site visit to solve support issue.
As a Senior Service Engineer, you will independently troubleshoot and resolve critical customer issues, often involving Linux servers, source code, and web application errors. Hands on resolution for an active issue, may at times also require you to capture and review logs, update code and write scripts (Shell, Bash, Ruby and others) or provide escalation assistance to gather appropriate resources across the teams.
As a part of your customer engagement responsibilities, you will need to perform proactive System Analysis and Health Check while gathering metrics around tickets, top or frequent issues, training needs etc. for periodic review with customers as needed - Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR) or Monthly as agreed with the customer.
You will also work with our Engineering team to prioritize issues and development, and our documentation team to improve customer-facing resources. You don’t need to be a Git expert, but you do need to have technical Git or GitHub experience and a passion for helping people.
This role may require working non-standard working hours, including weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Act as a point of contact for the customers to provide supportability, performance, and best practice advice related to customer infrastructure
- Understand and maintain documentation around the customer infrastructure, workflows and configuration
- Solve complex customer support tickets often involving Linux servers, source code, and web application issues
- On behalf of the customer, coordinate with other teams when additional expertise is needed
- Actively monitor customer issues during business hours, and work urgent and high requestsCoordinate with others to initiate, join, or monitor live triage as requested by customer
- Coordinate with others to initiate, join, or monitor live triage as requested by customer
- Provide consultation on and support Architecture and system design level changes for customers
- Troubleshoot complex issues by writing scripts, complex commands and/ or live triaging with the customers
- Provide escalation assistance as needed for all other Premium tickets
- Perform Root Cause Analysis, Ticket Analysis and system health checks for Premium customers as needed
- Participate and lead the Quarterly Business Reviews for the assigned customers by presenting metrics, data and health check summary and recommendations.
- Work proactively with customers on activities such as coordinating upgrades, communicating upcoming features, and ensuring their installation is running smoothly.
- U.S. Citizenship is required to meet US Government contract guidelines.
- Must have a current Active Top Secret clearance with willingness to be cleared up to TS/SCI Full Scope Polygraph
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- 3+ years experience in customer advocacy or engagement experience in post-sales or professional services functions.
- 2+ years experience Linux System Administrator and working experience with common tools like dnsmasq or openssl
- 1+ year experience production-level virtual machine (e.g., VMware ESX, Xen, KVM)
- Proficiency to understand and update code and scripts (Shell, Bash, Ruby and others)
- Experience troubleshooting third party middleware (e.g., MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis)
- Excellent analytical skills & problem-solving skills combined with the ability to provide quick resolution to problems.
- Exceptional verbal and written organizational, presentation, and communication skills.
- Must be customer service oriented and believe in teamwork, collaboration, adaptability & Initiative.
- Will require travel up to 50% based on business need to visit customers on-site for supporting the product.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.