|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you passionate about building best image search experience on the web and help billions of internet users find the most relevant and enjoyable image content on the web? Unique challenge of image search depends on talents from diversified technical background. Do you want to work with a group of talented data and applied scientists and distributed system engineers to grow your experience/career in wide range of area including computer vision, natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, big data mining, and information retrievaletc? If so, this senior software engineer position on Bing image relevance team may be a great fit for you!
The Bing Image Relevance Team develops the advanced search technology that powers Bing image search. We are responsible for delivering the best images for user’s queries and browsing across the globe. It’s more than just finding a webpage that matches a query – it’s about training sophisticated machine learned models to drive the ranking, using word embeddings and deep learning to understand the quality of matches, online learning to react quickly to change, natural language processing to understand queries, taking advantage of big data and signals from millions of people across the web. Pulling together and combining information from multiple sources to provide the user with results that best match their intent. Machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision, big data mining and information retrieval - it’s all part of the job.
The Bing Image Relevance Team is looking for a talented machine learning scientist to help us deliver our next generation of ranking algorithms. Qualified applicants should have a strong machine learning background, excellent coding skills, and a MS or higher degree in computer science or a related field. We are looking for a self-motivated and passionate individual who is interested in applying machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, and data mining to deliver the best search results on the web and make an impact on millions of users. You should have strong technical skills and be able to apply research concepts in new and innovative ways.
This is a fun and fast paced environment, where developers are empowered to innovate. This is a great opportunity to work on something highly strategic to Microsoft, and an opportunity to directly impact millions of users in an exciting area.
As image search data & applied scientist, you will have wide range of responsibilities and opportunities to learn and make impact, which includes but not limited to
- Analyze the problem through all data available to you includinglarge scalecrawled data and user engagement data etc.
- Define problem and metrics to address various problems include relevance, authority, attractiveness, diversity, and freshnessetc
- Design and train ML system and model architecture
- Collect data for training
- Define engineer life cycle and drive project forwards through iterative ranker releases
- Collaborate with other data & applied scientist as well as distributed system engineer and program manager
- Mentor other engineers and proactively seeks mentorship from others
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or related field
- 3+ years of experience with general purpose programming language (C/C++/C#/Java/Python etc.)
- 3+ years of experience in the areas of machine learning, deep learning, information retrieval, natural language processing or data mining
- Good communication skills and ability to work in collaborative environment
- Good design and problem-solving skills and an ability to innovate and solve challenging technical problems
- Passion and self-motivated
- Embrace engineering excellence and delivering quality results at scale.
- Ph.D. preferred
- Strong machine learning / computer vision / natural language processing experience and results in academy or industry. Publications in major ML/IR/NLP/CV conferences. Examples: ICML, NIPS, SIGIR, ACL, EMNLP, CVPR, KDD
- Experience in open source (spark,hbase,hadoopetc) or microsoft internal tech (cosmos, autopilot, azure) are big plus as well as most of our project/scenario is across system and AI areas
- Prior Tech lead or dev lead.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.