|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you interested in working for one of the most exciting products at Microsoft to help advance Microsoft’s AI Platform? Are you excited about being part of a product group working with Microsoft researchers, data scientists and AI engineering teams to ensure success as they move forward with cloud computing in Azure? If so, then look no further than the AI Platform team. AI Platform is responsible for the Azure Machine Learning (Azure ML) and Cognitive Services products.
Azure ML is building the machine learning development platform that makes it easy for all data scientists and AI developers to create and deploy robust and highly scalable ML and AI solutions in the cloud using the best of the open source ecosystem and innovation from inside the company along with the latest breakthroughs in research.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is dramatically transforming people’s work and life now, and Cognitive Services bring AI within reach of every developer—without requiring machine-learning expertise. All it takes is an API call to embed the ability to see, hear, speak, search, understand, and accelerate decision-making into your apps.
We are hiring an experienced and talented software engineering manager who is passionate about building scalable, distributed, highly available, and secure cloud services for the Microsoft AI Platform. We value creativity and a desire to learn new technologies, agility and accountability.
A successful candidate must have the skills of a manger and the proven experience of an individual contributor. As a manager, the candidate should be able to attract new talent to the organization, have experience leading a team, and a record of delivering results. As a proven individual contributor, the candidate should be hands-on with code and data analysis with a strong sense of ownership. Successful candidates are decisive leaders that are capable of driving through ambiguity amidst evolving requirements, environments, topologies, and workloads.
Join our team and help us build the best AI Platform for the world!
As an engineering manager on our team, you will help build and develop a high-performing team and participate in developing innovative solutions across AI Platform. Responsibilities include the following.
- Build and develop a high-performing team by participating in recruiting efforts and providing leadership, guidance and mentoring to the team.
- Working through new challenges the team builds out services in new regions
- Ability to work across teams in a large organization
- Build scalable, high-performance services that are highly reliable
- Organize and participate in an on-call rotation (typically 24/7 for one week every 6-8 weeks)
- Being enthusiastic, self-motivated, and a great collaborator
- Engage directly with customers and serve as a local point of escalation for AI Platform.
- Unblock the team and ensure everyone stays productive
- Ensure high-quality root cause analysis for livesite incidents
- Develop processes for the team to be effective in operating our services
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, is required.
- At least 10 years of experience in managing software engineering teams.
- At least 10 years of software development experience in C#, Java, Scala, C++, Go, Python or similar languages.
- At least 5 years of working with customers.
- Ability to build and influence broadly towards common goals and priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Solid Computer Science fundamentals, fluent in multi-threaded programming, experience/inclination for architecting at scale
- Demonstrated technical design, problem solving, coding and debugging skills
- Experience with distributed systems design and implementation. Experience with microservices architecture, Kubernetes, Linux, and related technologies is a plus
Security Clearance Requirements:
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements
- Candidates must have an active TS and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph) or have an active TS/SCI and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph). This role will require candidates to maintain the TS/SCI (with polygraph) clearance.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.