|Job Type:||Full Time|
Azure is the #2 cloud platform in the world and is expanding the reach and experience of the cloud to new deployment models on the edge. At Microsoft, we are working to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
At ASME, we are looking for a seasoned Mechanical engineer that will define requirements, strategies and suggested implementation approaches for our first-party series of ruggedized Azure-enabled edge appliances. This role will require a proven track record and understanding of mechanical principles as they relate to the ruggedization of commercial computer systems including motherboards, add-on cards, SSD’s and similar components. You will work and drive directly or through an ODM partner to identify design approaches based on typical Mil-Spec standards. You will be part of the team that is driving the next-generation Azure Edge.
- Partner with Product Management to define/refine solution requirements
- Define design approaches to ruggedize existing and/or new COTS appliances where possible
- Work directly or with ODM partners to implement the approaches
- Write and oversee test plans to validate ruggedization designs
- Interpret and report design/material and manufacturing defects and drive RCCA approaches where necessary to continually improve designs for harsh environmental environments.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering or Systems Engineering
- 7+ years of experience designing, troubleshooting, and validating (COTS) ruggedized computer systems
- Strong hands-on expertise in Mil-Spec testing, diagnosis, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Knowledgeable in the specification, analysis and test of electronics cooling solutions
- Experience with MCAD, thermal simulation and other tools required to perform the job function
- Must possess good written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, and work in a collaborative team environment
- Must have skills to work independently and as part of a larger development team and have demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, complex technical projects
- Some travel may be required
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.