|Job Type:||Full Time|
At Microsoft, our mission is to “empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.” It’s an ambitious statement, but how can we possibly hope to positively affect the lives of our customers if we don’t deeply understand what they are trying to achieve in the first place? Our Industrial Internet of Things group is focused on understanding those needs and we are searching for a meticulous leader who can lend their focus and experience to guide our organization down the right path.
Dealing with IIoT can be confusing, complicated, and difficult, which means Microsoft has the opportunity to make a difference. Industrial machines have service lifetimes measured in decades and companies have come into being and passed from generation to generation solving some small part of the manufacturing value chain for end-producers. Despite, or because of, this fragmentation every day new tools and solutions are shared within the broader community, making it difficult to know at a glance whether each new name corresponds to a new industrial robot or a Pokémon. Keeping pace, and staying engaged with the community, takes heart and patience. The great frustrations and unmet needs sitting there in plain sight call out for a sympathetic ear and steady hand to help guide and mentor our team towards addressing the challenges facing manufacturers, machine builders, automation builders, and fellow industrial solution providers. We think we have something to offer that can help those who spend their days wrapped up in the physics of production, but we cannot do it alone.
As a member of the IIoT team you’ll join a close team-oriented environment building a new service offering on Azure. Our product offering is built around four principles that guide our approach to the market, and differentiate us from what has come before:
- Open Platform & Data to support customer choice and solution portability
- Credible to the industry
- Making IIoT and Manufacturing easy
- Support for 3rd party Industrial Solutions
And we’ll know we’ve been successful when our customers can tell us these were our priorities from their experience with the product. Whether you are making cereal, powering a small country with an off-shore wind farm, or moving raw materials halfway around the globe you are still doing “Manufacturing;” if we do our part you are free to concentrate on improving yours.
This is a Principal level role with a charter to help guide the team in standing up a product offering on Azure with infrastructure, SaaS, and PaaS components. The industrial space is not new, but current market conditions and a pressing need to manage as much as possible remotely, make this an exciting time to be bringing a new major offering to market. One of our defining elements is our ability to get into the weeds with our customers and understand their business challenge – you’ll find chemists, materials scientists, and industrial engineers on the team as often as you’ll find software developers. We’re looking to pair industrial backgrounds with an understanding of cloud maturity, so we can handle the information technology challenges while maintaining a sympathetic eye towards the operations technology constraints of our customers. The team works with a diverse set of customers in many different industries around the world, while also being a diverse set of PMs and Engineers living all around the world; you’ll always have a new situation or requirement to learn from and challenge to prioritize in our product roadmap. You’ll partner with teams in Azure providing similar or adjacent services to ensure our customer facing message is clear and proscriptive, as well as with customer engineering, advocacy, and support teams internally to engage with some of Microsoft’s largest and most demanding customers.
- 7+ years leading delivery of Product in Software or Manufacturing Infrastructure
- Hands-on experience with industrial or manufacturing production
- Experience managing product or customer engagement teams and a passion for growing and developing others
- Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics degree, an MBA, or equivalent industry experience (Preferred: Ind. Engr, ChemE, MatSci, MechEngr, Physics, Chemistry)
- Experience with experiment design and modern user testing methodologies
- Familiarity with PLCs, SCADA, Historians, MES, ERP, or other common industrial solutions
- Comfortable with open-source technologies and 3rd party software solutions
- A passion for understanding and solving customer problems and the ability to pass a Turing test – not that we don’t love AI, but this role requires working convincingly with humans
- Comfort with writing and presenting to executive audiences to influence business outcomes
- Technical software aptitude with an understanding of modern product and cloud development practices for both small and large organizations
- Demonstrated capability in delivering business outcomes across organizational boundaries
- Ability to independently conduct market analysis, competitive benchmarking, and customer research to validate project priorities and direction
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org