|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft empowers every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more through providing cloud based, cutting edge services to the world. The Azure Next Cloud Systems Architecture (NCSA) team incubates and develops nascent concepts determining suitability for the Azure Cloud. NCSA is a small, multi-disciplinary team with responsibilities including concept generation, concept proposal, critical evaluations, prototype engineering and documentation support for executive reviews. As the concepts approach the point where they are ready to be made into Azure products, a handoff will be made to the larger development teams.
The NCSA hardware enablement team is seeking a highly motivated Firmware Engineer for the design and development of high-density server manageability subsystems. The candidate will be involved in with all phases of product design, from chassis and board design through manageability SoC bring-up and productization of the rack, power and server management solution. At the design phase, you will be involved in the architecture and design of bootloader and embedded kernel. You will be responsible for firmware development, including initialization code, boot loader development, driver interface, protocol, and feature development of low-level hardware.
The candidate should have strong coding skills, debugging and troubleshooting abilities, with experience in Linux embedded driver development. The successful candidate should have experience with some or all the following: firmware development, driver development, bootloaders, memory initialization, board support package porting, peripherals such as I2C, USB. OS primitives, memory management, cache management, threading, and synchronization.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for embedded system software design and embedded systems.
- Responsible for embedded microservices architecture and interfaces for cloud management software.
- Responsible for interfacing with multi-discipline teams in development of computer hardware
- Responsible for rack and subsystem management on high density systems.
- Collaborating with Azure’s hardware and software development teams to ensure designs align with hardware management and control flows
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years of professional experience designing, developing Linux embedded solutions.
- Proven and demonstrable skill in C, C++. Experience with GIT.
- Experienced with bootloader development
- Familiar with USB, I2C, uboot and Linux Kernel
- Ability to debug and resolve issues spanning multiple subsystems
- Strong problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills, advanced design and development skills
The hardware for operating these services (over 200 and counting), comprises of hundreds of thousands of servers spread globally and applications that reach hundreds of millions of users every day. Our customer-base is growing rapidly, our infrastructure investments are multiplying, and the size of our global infrastructure is increasing by the day - along with the scale of our challenges. Learn more about our team and projects here Azure Hardware Infrastructure
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.