|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all of the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams). We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness and environmental sustainability.
We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
At the forefront of the action in CO+I is our Critical Environment Systems Intelligence Program (CESI)!
The Global BAS team within CESI is responsible for establishing global instrumentation infrastructure requirements and standards, supporting BAS design documents and BAS implementation post-handover, developing and delivering efficiency and optimization programs and projects, and supporting 24x7x365 mission-critical CE instrumentation infrastructure within Microsoft’s global data centers. CESI is seeking a Senior BAS Controls Engineer to build a team to support BAS for our existing datacenters and support and develop CO+I optimization and availability metrics and initiatives.
This role is responsible for developing, driving, and delivering on global BAS environmental optimization initiatives, programs, and projects to increase datacenter availability and enable efficiency. You will be required to analyze BAS monitoring data, own development and delivery of recommended changes to operational processes and control sequences. You will work closely with peer instrumentation engineering and support teams, along with senior executives and key decision makers across CO+I. You will develop and rely heavily on key partnerships with global Datacenter Operations teams at varying levels of the business, and all groups affiliated with Microsoft Datacenters (Business & Property groups).
A successful candidate will possess a wide range of Datacenter BAS execution, CE Data Analysis, HVAC Engineering, Networking Architecture, Server Platform Management, and Software Engineering experience and knowledge. Key attributes include ability to build, develop, and grow business relationships vital to the success of the team, including suppliers, subcontractors and teaming partners. The candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to speak and present effectively to all levels of business. Familiarity with advanced design processes and procedures in supporting large data center support infrastructures, along with a working knowledge of computer-aided design and Microsoft Office software are a plus.
Management and governance of Microsoft’s mechanical industrial control systems (ICS) to include servers, applications, code, networks, and device infrastructure deployed within Microsoft’s 24x7x365 mission-critical datacenters. You will be a Lead Global engineering resource for these monitoring and control services, ensuring availability, accuracy and reliability of these critical mechanical systems is maintained through ongoing analytics driving operational process improvements.
Excellent customer service, interpersonal awareness, and communication skills will be pivotal in bringing your engineering leadership and technical abilities to life, supporting Microsoft’s future success!
- Minimum 5 Years’ experience in mechanical controls engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience in technical discipline specific to HVAC and building automation
- Minimum 5 Years’ experience in designing, deploying, commissioning, and maintaining BAS and associated network architectures for Critical Environment infrastructures or related enterprise scale services
- In depth Knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Building Automation Systems (BAS), and Building Management Systems (BMS)
- In depth knowledge of open BAS protocols and communications - BACnet, LON, MODBUS, Ethernet, Web-Services, html, and others
- Strong experience with the operation and maintenance of building cooling and related mechanical systems (HVAC, Chilled Water, DX Refrigerant, Evaporative, and related controls systems)
- Ability to lead team of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large data center environments
- Proven ability in software engineering including code design, implementation, user interfaces, and operator experience. Global program development and program management experience.
- Working experience defining, delivering, managing, and optimizing Building Automation Systems (BAS) and/or Building Management Systems (BMS) code and systems.
- Experience managing both internal and external vendors, with a proven ability to manage and monitor progress to ensure objectives are achieved for outsourced project efforts.
- 30% travel will be required.
- Knowledge of Electrical Power Monitoring Systems (EPMS), Branch Circuit Monitoring Systems (BCMS)
- In depth knowledge of server platforms, virtualization theories and concepts, database design and engineering, data management and, disaster recovery / planning / risk assessment.
- Proven ability to access and analyze CE Systems data for alarm and event consolidation, cause and effect and, audit.
- Knowledge of construction techniques and terminology including the ability to read and interpret blueprints, construction drawings and documents is essential.
- Working knowledge of contract terms, conditions, mechanism, and procedures.
- Ability to manage, prioritize and successfully execute multiple concurrent mission-critical infrastructure projects
- Ability to balance competing demands for resources and adapt to changing priorities.
- Proven ability to deliver projects on-time and adherence to deadlines.
- Proven ability to motivate disparate teams both direct and indirect to solve issues.
- Proven ability and understanding of budgetary and financial processes.
- Proven ability to apply clear, unconstrained critical thinking in complex, stressful situations.
- Provide meaningful and timely reporting for weekly success metrics.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.