About the role
An opportunity has arisen to lead a cross-functional team delivering recombinant antibodies for use in immunohistochemistry applications and manufactured under ISO13485 (2003) quality standard. These antibodies are developed and supplied to our customers for use in critical care, serving as diagnostic reagents in pathology settings. The role is based in Burlingame, California and part of the Global Manufacturing Team, reporting to the VP of Global Manufacturing.
You will have overall responsibility for providing leadership that will drive performance in a customer-focussed fashion for on-time delivery of exceptional quality antibodies. The person in this role will be experienced in co-ordinating cross-functional teams, driving a culture of continuous improvement and measuring performance against KPI.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone aiming to deliver real, lasting change and sustainable business benefits.
About BUR Manufacture
BUR is the primary site for manufacture of recombinant antibodies to support Abcam’s in vitro diagnostic business. New additions to the IVD portfolio are also qualified at this site, in association with our new product discovery site, based in Hangzhou, China and integrated with our product portfolio and innovation team, headquartered in the UK. The IVD portfolio and order management is supported by our supply chain, planning and logistics departments, with customer service support from our customer experience teams, sales team and business development functions. This is a regulated business, operating under ISO13485(2003) standard.
The business will also be undertaking implementation of an ERP system, with integration of warehouse management, planning and order management capabilities
- Personally, accountable for the delivery of all products, processes and projects that span all BUR functions. Prioritise and manage resources to ensure all strategic and tactical objectives are successfully met.
- Lead and build a cross-matrixed team, focussed on delivering on-time manufacture of products, delivered to exceed customer and quality needs
- Manage risks to ensure the continuity of supply and mitigate the potential single points of failure.
- Ensure that staff across all functions are positioned to meet current and future business needs, developing a high performing, sustainable, lean and collaborative group.
- Coach junior members of the team to support their performance and career development, identifying training needs and working with stakeholders to provide support
- Development and reporting KPI metrics to monitor manufacture and portfolio progression, including performance, budget and time criteria, delivering success whilst minimizing cost and time and maintaining quality
- Oversee efficient development and addition of new products to the portfolio
- Deliver an effective stakeholder communication strategy, including engagement with the leadership team to report on progress, identifying constraints and relaying mitigation strategies
- Champion continuous improvement and engage with Operational Excellence and QA teams to deliver effective solutions
- Role model a safe working environment, adhering to Abcam’s H & S standards and Operational Excellence policies
- Be a positive ambassador for change management and the implementation of system solutions
- You will have 7+ years of manufacture, with knowledge of ISO13485 and continuous improvement approaches to optimize performance
- A results oriented, driven individual who possesses the ability to trake action and implement effective solutions in a timely manner.
- Use of KPI and critical path measurements will be second nature
- Demonstrates an active change forward and change management mindset and effectively communicates this across the organisation.
- You will have previously demonstrated excellent people management skills and have experience of building cross-functional high performing matrixed teams and be able to coach reports to support their career development. A hands-on leader with high EQ as well as IQ, who is authentic and hugely committed to the success of the facility and all its employees
- You will be a confident communicator, able to understand Ab production processes and translate these to manufacturing and supply chain requirements
- Skills with diverse stakeholder management and maintaining engagement and communications across global functions are expected
- An understanding of licensing / trade secrets is advantageous