|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are open if the role is in Redmond,WA or Aliso Viejo, Orange County, CA
Principal Performance Architect – Synapse SQL
Azure Synapse Analytics is a technical centerpiece and major revenue driver for Microsoft in scale-out big data analytics. The cloud storage and intelligent processing of large data volumes is a great enabler for new classes of applications and a multi-billion-dollar market. Technically, we develop deep technology on distributed systems, fault-tolerance, storage, big data, query processing, self-management and machine learning. This is a highly competitive space, and we at Microsoft continue to grow and nurture a first-class, diverse team to lead the market. We are constantly evaluating opportunities to incorporate new ideas into the product, based on customer input, competitive analyses and research results.
We are looking for a performance architect to help drive the next generation of our service. You will have the opportunity to drive significant, industry-leading performance innovations in the product that have a tangible impact on customer satisfaction and industry position. If you are a hands-on technical leader with extensive experience in systems development and a proven track record in delivering reliable, scalable and highly-performant solutions, we want to hear from you.
Key responsibilities include:
- Influence performance investments and product roadmap by developing a deep understanding of customer workload patterns, product architecture and competitive landscape.
- Define the roadmap on future Azure hardware selection for the service based on targeted measurements, deep understanding of the Azure stack and close collaboration with partner teams suchasAzureSQL,compute, networking and storage.
- Ensure that key end-to-end scenarios match customer expectations in terms of performance and scalability by collaborating closely with partner teams across the Azure ecosystem.
- Engage with strategic customers to help analyze customer workloads and address complex performance challenges across the product stack.
- Conduct in-depth competitive analysis and publish audited benchmarks such as TPC-DS.
- Design and build core performance infrastructure to evaluate workloads running at various scale points and concurrency.
- Help build intelligent performance diagnostic tooling to auto-detect and fix performance bottlenecks across the stack.
- Model a culture of customer obsession and technical excellence and effectively mentor and coach junior engineers.
We are a tight-knit team who values diversity, collaboration and learning from each other. We are committed to be data driven, agile development and delivering a great customer experience. If this sounds like the right environment for you please join us!
- 10+yearsofexperiencein design and development of computing systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Statistics or Physics
- Proven track record in delivering reliable, scalable and highly-performant end-to-end solutions
- Experience in building distributed systems and shipping enterprise-class systems software
- Excellent communication anddemonstrated ability to drive cross-team improvements
- High enthusiasm, integrity, ingenuity, results-orientation, self-motivation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced environment
- Deep customer empathy and a passion to take on hard technical challenges
- Great curiosity and willingness to question
- Experience in database and data warehouse application design and development
- Hands-on engineering experience developing and managing scalable cloud services across technologies such as Azure, AWS or GCP or on-prem systems
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.