|Location:||Washington, District of Columbia|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Senior Communications Manager, Government will develop and manage a series of storytelling and image management campaigns around how Microsoft can enable and help support governments (federal civilian, defense/intelligence, state and local) in the U.S. and around the world. This is a highly competitive space with varying degrees of complication in terms of the regulatory and compliance landscape. The Sr. Manager in this role will drive stories to showcase Microsoft’s winning strategy, a well-established network of partners and set of solutions; and demonstrate how we are the trusted technology provider to deliver value in this space. This role also focuses on customer success storytelling and managing the complexities of promoting public and private partnerships.
Government is a key priority for the company, especially as governments invest in modernization via trusted cloud and AI technologies to better serve people. This role will be based in Washington D.C. and focus will be weighted on our work in the U.S. although this person will also help support communications teams worldwide in landing in market storytelling on our government work and value proposition at a local level. This is a role with growth potential. Key to success will be developing and executing against the strategy to help us accelerate our efforts in selling to governments.
- Building and executing a clear and comprehensive communications strategy to demonstrate Microsoft’s leadership in helping governments in their effort to modernize and transform through technology
- Focus on customer wins and supporting large scale procurement efforts with smart, timely communications strategies to show momentum.
- Media management and landing coverage with impact across trade, general and business press that focus on government – weighted on the D.C. media landscape but to include a range of U.S. and global media
- Deft navigation of complex stakeholder and business partner landscape as well as tight collaboration across other communications teams including Government Affairs, industry and product teams to achieve common goals
- Agency management to scale the proactive and reactive communications work, reach new audiences and achieve greater impact
- Storytelling through third-party voices – rallying partners and customers to tell their own stories together with Microsoft
- Ability to respond thoughtfully under tight deadlines when tricky issues arise and need to be managed to protect Microsoft’s reputation
- Guide international communications teams to leverage content locally and drive coverage in country on Microsoft’s role in government
- 8+ years of experience in public relations, communications, public affairs or journalism
- BA/BS or MS Degree in public relations, marketing, communications, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in storytelling, crisis communications, issues management, technology product PR, agency management and media relations
- Ability to simplify complex technology concepts and product offerings and make them relevant and compelling for different media audiences is important. Creativity and ability to write well is key.
- Understanding of cloud and commercial technology, the government landscape and the nuances of navigating within government guidelines while engaging in public and private partnership storytelling
- Experience in cross-group collaboration, self-starter and confident presence with executives and customers/partners.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.