|Location:||Atlanta, Georgia, Detroit, Michigan, Redmond, Washington, Washington, District of Columbia|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
The Microsoft Airband Initiative is working with internal and external partners to guide and shape innovative new products, solutions, and business models that make affordable broadband access a reality for unserved communities around the world. The team already has a portfolio of high-impact, high-profile engagements with partners in over 20 countries across five continents.
We are looking for a high impact individual contributor to fully integrate and optimize our core skills and development programs as we help expand access to broadband and devices for communities of color and the key institutions that support them in major urban centers. The Business Program Manager - Airband will help to identify and land new partnerships and projects that bring affordable and reliable broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved areas. The Program Manager will lead and implement a subset of broadband network deployments and service rollouts with our network operator partners, while ensuring that all project and partner engagement processes, protocols, and activities ladder up into global strategy and execution plans.
- Strategy/Project Management - You execute Microsoft Airband strategies and/or projects related to digital inclusion, adhering to project timelines and plans.
- Project Development - You provide input for advancing digital inclusion initiatives and solutions; you facilitate project development, outreach and execution; you assess the feasibility of extending the project to internal and external communities.
- Needs Assessment - You assess local community and civic engagement needs to develop an understanding of Microsoft Airband program opportunities.
- Communications - You ensure programs are integrated into internal and external stakeholder messaging, and participate in internal and external events to communicate information on Microsoft Airband; you communicate Microsoft's perspective on corporate social responsibility issues internally.
- External Relationships - You build partnerships with internet service providers, network operators, OEMs, retail partners, nonprofits, and other community-based groups and evaluate feedback from the community and other stakeholders on Microsoft Airband.
- Internal Collaboration - You build an understanding of business strategies across Microsoft and Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs; you participate in intra-group and/or cross-group projects and escalate misalignment as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Negotiations - The ability to achieve mutually satisfying agreements in negotiations with others by listening to their objectives, acting as the company's representative to effectively communicate the company's objective, and seeking common ground and collaborative solutions.
- Building Partnerships - The ability to build and maintain professional working relationships with clients, business leaders, and stakeholders within and outside the company to understand needs and develop mutually beneficial solutions.
- Detail Oriented - The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of detailed information in documents, on the computer, and/or in other work products. This includes being able to code, file, compile, transcribe, classify, and/or track details from a variety of different sources/problems/issues.
- External Awareness - The ability to identify, analyze, evaluate, and keep up-to-date on key local, national, international events and activities, and industry, economic, political, and social trends that affect the company, including laws, policies, politics, administration priorities, trends, and special interests.
- Relationship Management - The ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with supervisors, staff, managers, customers, and vendors. This includes expressing empathy and compassion when dealing with the needs and problems of others, being approachable, taking time to address the concerns of coworkers, and treating others with respect and dignity.
- Community Outreach - The ability to interact with and influence community leaders, groups, and organizations to understand and determine ways to address the needs and concerns of local, state, national, and/or global communities.
The ideal candidate will bring an understanding across three core areas; digital divide or digital inclusion programs, partnership building with a wide variety of stakeholders, and interest in the meaningful applications of broadband connectivity in communities. If you don’t have all those yet, but have strengths in some of those areas and a mindset to learn and develop, we’d still like to hear from you.
- 3+ years of project management experience in a corporate social responsibility or related social impact program or equivalent experience working in or with a large, matrixed organization.
- Tactical business and operational skills, organizational agility, ability to rapidly gain/build trust and confidence of internal and external stakeholders.
- Work well under pressure and deadlines with a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Self-motivated/directed, confident working at an individual contributor level and comfortable working in a matrixed organization.
- Demonstrated skills in building organizational partnerships and communicating programs effectively on a global scale across a complex stakeholder network.
- Requires relevant bachelor’s degree or experience commensurate with job expectations for this position (advanced degree preferred).
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.