|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
The Microsoft Airband Initiative is working with internal and external partners to guide and shape innovative new products, solutions, and business models that make affordable broadband access a reality for unserved communities around the world. The team already has a portfolio of high-impact, high-profile engagements with partners in over 20 countries across five continents.
We are looking for an experienced, high impact leader to fully integrate and optimize our core skills and development programs as we help expand access to broadband and devices for communities of color and the key institutions that support them in major urban centers. The Director - Airband US - Urban will require working with network operators, OEMs, Microsoft hardware and device teams, retail partners, and nonprofits to enrich low-cost broadband access by providing affordable PCs and Microsoft software to improve people’s lives. Specific areas of focus include, but are not limited to, telehealth services and educational offerings.
- Strategy/Program Management – You work with the Senior Director for the Airband Initiative to develop the strategic vision and goals for and execute Microsoft Airband initiatives and/or programs, creating and managing matrixed, highly complex project timelines, and plans.
- Program Development - You provide thought leadership and/or champion digital inclusion initiatives and solutions that significantly impact the advancement of Microsoft Airband, the industry, and/or the community; you create and implement processes to facilitate highly strategic program development, outreach, and execution, and assess feasibility and impact of program extension to other executive level stakeholders.
- Issue Resolution - You advise on and respond to key broadband-related strategic issues in the US, recommending prioritized actions, ensuring alignment with stakeholder positions, and escalating matters, as appropriate.
- Needs Assessment - You identify and recommend initiatives to address complex local, regional, national, and global community and civic engagement needs in alignment with Microsoft Airband’s standards.
- Communications - You influence and contribute to the communications strategy and ensure programs are integrated into internal and external stakeholder messaging; you participate in events to advocate for and communicate Microsoft's perspective on key strategic issues and garner the support of influential stakeholders.
- External Relationships - You identify and manage partnerships with internet service providers, network operators, OEMs, retail partners, nonprofits, and other community-based groups to advance the expansion of Airband into key urban areas; you implement improvement to Microsoft' Airband’s initiatives based on community and stakeholder feedback.
- Internal Collaboration - You apply detailed knowledge of Microsoft and Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs strategies to drive cross-company collaboration and program integrity; you serve as a strategic partner for the Airband Initiative and proactively collaborate with and influence internal stakeholders, ensuring a mutual understanding of objectives and priorities and supporting business development opportunities to drive results.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Negotiations - The ability to achieve mutually satisfying agreements in negotiations with others by listening to their objectives, acting as the company's representative to effectively communicate the company's objective, and seeking common ground and collaborative solutions.
- Corporate Partnerships - The ability to develop and leverage strategic internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals. This includes the ability to lead key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engage key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of business plans and initiatives; and support associate efforts in these areas.
- Detail Oriented - The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of detailed information in documents, on the computer, and/or in other work products. This includes being able to code, file, compile, transcribe, classify, and/or track details from a variety of different sources/problems/issues.
- External Awareness - The ability to identify, analyze, evaluate, and keep up-to-date on key local, national, international events and activities, and industry, economic, political, and social trends that affect the company, including laws, policies, politics, administration priorities, trends, and special interests.
- Representing the Company - The ability to establish, maintain, and manage relationships with key individuals/groups outside the organization (for example, government, community, industry, professional organizations) and understand that others view her/him as a spokesperson or representative for the company. This includes the ability to present the company's perspective to various external organizations.
The ideal candidate will bring a blend of three core areas; deep experience focused on digital divide or digital inclusion programs, solid track record of partnership building with a wide variety of stakeholders, and an understanding of the meaningful applications of broadband connectivity in communities. If you don’t have all those yet, but have strengths in some of those areas and a mindset to learn and develop, we’d still like to hear from you.
- 10+ years business leadership experience managing programs and training and development or related functions. Provide professional expertise and a track record of success with program execution, program management, measurement, and continuous improvement processes.
- Strategic business and operational leadership, organizational agility, ability to impact and influence senior level leaders across the company. Ability to rapidly gain/build trust and confidence of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven effectiveness driving complex multi-stakeholder programs, leading cross-team programs to desired results, and managing risk
- Work well under pressure and deadlines with a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Self-motivated/directed, confident working at a senior leader level and comfortable working in a matrixed organization.
- Demonstrated skills in building organizational partnerships and communicating programs effectively on a global scale across a complex stakeholder network
- Demonstrated experience in leading organizations to success – shaping strategy and delivering on execution, working as necessary with vendors and employees at different levels in implementing a broad portfolio of programs and projects.
- Ability to create effective relationships, listen, communicate, influence, and collaborate cross-team at all organizational levels
- Requires relevant bachelor’s degree or experience commensurate with job expectations for this leadership position (advanced degree preferred).
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience managing a corporate social responsibility or related social impact program
- 3+ years of experience working in or with a large, matrixed organization
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.