|Job Type:||Full Time|
At the Web Data team we're looking for a passionate Applied Scientist to help us on our mission of employing deep learning to understand all the data on the web; the largest store of information in human history. With this understanding we power end-user experiences across a variety of areas, including:
- Relevance of search results on Bing.com
- Question answering
- Recommender systems
As a team, we play a central role in document understanding and aggregation of data across documents leveraging the web graph. Work in our team is unique in that you'll be able to work with trillions of documents, which pushes the boundaries of our infrastructure and computational resources. Moreover, it provides interesting challenges that haven't been encountered before, thereby combining research and product applications.
Examples of our team's work include:
- Revolutionize the field of information retrieval through bridging the gap between end to end dense retrieval and the traditional cascade approach of sparse retrieval with BERT reranking. [paper, github]
- Develop the best technology to bring deep learning solutions to unprecedented scale, for example we built the world's fastest tokenizer. [github]
- Establish new benchmarks for natural language understanding tasks such as key phrase extraction. [paper, github]
We are looking for a passionate and ambitious Applied Scientist with demonstrable skills in information retrieval, deep learning, natural language processing and/or large-scale distributed computing.
- Research and development of deep learning models for Microsoft AI scenarios, including language understanding, multi-modal representation learning, etc.
- Pushing the envelope on deep learning by:
- Defining problems and establishing metrics
- Gathering training data at scale
- Exploring model design and architecture
- Exploring learning objectives and tasks
- Optimizing solutions and shipping to production
- DL infrastructure and platform support
As an Applied Scientist on our team, you will be driving projects through their entire lifecycle from idea creation through implementation, experimentation and, finally, shipping to our users. We are looking for motivated and results-oriented applied scientists to help drive the design and implementation of the next wave of product improvements for Bing and Microsoft. Upon joining our team, you will be working with truly big data by training and extending the capability of deep learning models to provide compelling experiences across our products. Projects can span across modeling, data engineering, model optimization, large scale experimentation, and shipment of cutting-edge technology for 100s of millions of users. Due to the wide range of available project opportunities, projects are assigned based on a person’s interests and background. Also, our project assignments are adaptable so one can move around and play different roles depending on their interest.
- Minimum: Bachelors; Preferred: advanced degree and/or industry experience
- Experience applying deep learning techniques
- 2+ years of experience coding in Python, C++, C#, C or Java
- Passionate and self-motivated
- Ability to effectively collaborate and ship production features in a multi-project, fast-paced team environment
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Customer/end result/metrics driven in design and development
- Ability and motivation to self-teach while entering new domains and managing through ambiguity
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.