|Job Type:||Full Time|
Cloud Ops and Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft’s cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and for operating the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams). We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness, and environmental sustainability. We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s over 200 online businesses including Azure, Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, and OneDrive. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
The Cloud Interconnection and Acquisitions team is responsible for network strategy, topology planning and acquisition for Microsoft’s online services infrastructure. We work with the various engineering, capacity and long-range planning teams on a collaborative basis to ensure the Microsoft network has the highest quality and availability globally.
We're looking for someone with experience in a fast-paced production environment—you must be agile and able to adapt to changing conditions and priorities. The successful candidate will need to analyze data and make sound recommendations in an often-ambiguous environment, excellent communication, and collaboration skills. You will be working with people from many different teams and backgrounds. You must be able to influence others and work cross-functionally to achieve broad goals. You must be able to work independently and drive for impact and results. A proven track record of successfully managing projects and stakeholders, removing organizational cruft and improving workflows is a primary skill set needed to be successful in this role.
The successful candidate will be an exceptionally strong communicator both written and verbally, and will lead multi-discipline, highly technical project initiatives. The ideal candidate will have successfully managed multiple enterprise-scale infrastructure projects. Their experience includes Datacenter /CoLo technologies such as Networking, HVAC, power, rack/space planning, cable plant, as well as familiarity with software delivery, operating systems, server virtualization products, and datacenter automation tools. Experience managing and understanding how carriers and Colocation providers operate is a plus
Candidate must be comfortable managing vendors, remote project delivery teams, and possess the ability to facilitate technical whiteboard sessions to troubleshoot project implementation issues, and remove barriers to project success. The candidate can multitask and reprioritize and effectively lead deliveries based on ever changing business needs. This candidate will be self-started and required little guidance, have a “get it done attitude”, manage ambiguity and can make decisions independently. The candidate will be fully competent in project management tools and techniques for all phases of the project lifecycle
- BS or BA degree (In lieu of degree, 15 years relevant work experience)
- 3+ years of experiences in networking technologies
- 10 years of Program Management or Engineering experience leading, defining and delivering project, programs or services
- 5+ Years proven knowledge of Data Center Operations, Inside Plant Management and Design, Outside plant, Bulk Fiber Installation and diverse terrestrial routing fundamentals
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree or advanced professional degree and 7+ years of project management experience or BS degree in technology or science with equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience in networking technologies in Data Center, Colo and/or Edge space
- 3+ years of experience in strategic negotiations and/or business development obtaining services from technology providers in data center and Internet technologies
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, Lean process, Kaizen, Six Sigma or 5 years of process improvement experience
- Solid working understanding of domestic and global carrier networks
- Depth of experience presenting/communicating to executives and c-suite leadership
- Great problem solving, strategic thinking and technical skills
- Business Acumen demonstrated through prior work or education
- Self-driven and ability to work with minimal direction
- Technical experience with databases, data integration and data access technologies
- Experience with a data driven/metrics-driven mindset and the ability to experiment, learn and improve
- Familiarity with service catalog /workflow methodologies
- Able to build advanced SQL/BI queries & dashboards
Successful Candidates will have:
- Strategic negotiations and/or business development experience obtaining services from high-technology providers in data center and internet technologies
- A demonstrable track record of improving workflow processes, increasing efficiency and reporting on critical processes
- Can speak to practical examples of performance metrics and the development of key performance indicators
- Experience in influencing engineers in technical discussions
- A passion for networking or data center technologies
- Will be comfortable in conversation dealing with networking topics covering route mapping, procurement, installation, support and operations
- Familiarity with service catalog /workflow methodologies and ITIL framework
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including financial analytics.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, determine best course of action and drive permanent resolution
- Ability to successfully influence without authority and manage efforts through relationships.
- Ability to inspire leadership and trust across teams and organizations
- Ability to promote a collaborative environment and bring a positive attitude to difficult situations.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.