|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Customer Architecure & Engineering Team sits within the Customer Success (CS) organization, which focuses on Microsoft’s Cloud and AI Platform from within the Worldwide Commercial Business (WCB). Customer Success is an enterprise organization responsible for helping customers to build, deploy and operate Microsoft’s Cloud and AI Platform. The Customer Architecture & Engineering team is a highly technical team that accomplishes three strategic goals:
- Work directly with our most strategic customer projects worldwide to ensure they are successful on the platform
- Ensure our engineering teams fully understand the end to end technical details of their services through the eyes of our customers
- Share best practices and patterns with the larger community worldwide
A CSA within the Azure Customer Architecture & Engineering team is a senior individual contributor who operates globally and engages directly with customers. It is a hands-on technical role spanning across design, build, and production with a focus on issue resolution to remove customer production blockers. Candidates are expected to comfortably switch from a whiteboard to Azure Portal to Visual Studio (or other IDE) to PowerShell (or other scripting environment).
This is an exciting role that will feature unique and challenging technical problems to solve, with opportunities to connect with and learn from some of the best software engineers in the world.
A CSA within the Azure Customer Architecture & Engineering team will be responsible for:
- Customer success on the Azure platform with a special focus on designing and helping customers build production applications and reduce technical risks and debts
- Providing a positive impact to the strategic direction of Azure engineering teams
- Curate and produce high quality guidance for our internal and external communities and customers
- Mentorship and development of technical delivery personnel within the Customer Success organization
The ideal candidate will have a breadth of knowledge across cloud computing domains and experience on Azure, as well as expert level hands-on experience in topics from one or more of the technical domains below:
- 7+ years of experience with architectural patterns and anti-patterns for resiliency and geo-availability
- 5+ years of experience with Infrastructure-as-Code to build, test and deploy infrastructure for application environments
- Modelling cloud infrastructure based on application scale and capacity needs, providing data-driven recommendations to optimize application architecture and performance
- Cloud networking and hybrid connectivity with expertise in BGP and SD-WAN solutions as well as Azure networking services such as Express Route
- Application migrations for scenarios involving components such as Windows/Linux VMs, databases, NFS/SMB file shares, and VDI
- Management, monitoring and operations at-scale, preferably in a cloud environment
- Identity and access control with experience administering B2B and B2C applications as well as a working knowledge of Azure AD
- Security and governance with a strong proficiency in defining and modelling security baselines and managing security posture
- Running microservices and container-based workloads in production.
- CNCF projects and open source technologies
- Engineering distributed applications within architectural scenarios such as Web and IoT
- Designing scalable solutions on cloud platforms with focus on performance and resiliency, utilizing microservices architectures
- Application design patterns, and anti-patterns, such as MVC, CQRS and/or SAGA
- Interacting with and querying databases and/or NoSQL datastores
- Application monitoring and end to end telemetry
- Containers for packaging application deployment units and interacting with container-orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes, Service Fabric, Cloud Foundry
- Defining CI/CD pipelines to automate test and release across different application environments using concepts such as Blue/Green and Canary deployments and related technologies (e.g. Jenkins, Spinnaker, Azure for DevOps, Chef, Puppet)
- Source code management using Git or other source control technologies such as TFS
- Open source technologies and frameworks
Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly, and understand relevant cloud trends required
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering Data Science/ML/AI or related field experience.
Certification in one or more of the following technologies preferred: Azure, Containers, Databases, Big Data, Data Science/ML/AI
The position location is based in US with a need to be in Redmond WA regularly to engage directly with the broader team and Azure engineering teams. There will be up to 50% travel in Americas as the Azure Customer Engineer is expected to work directly with customers on site.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.