|Location:||Santa Monica, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Initiative is an early stage first-party game development studio located in Santa Monica and part of Microsoft’s XBOX Game Studios. Our studio is about craft, creating story, innovating, and looking ahead to the next big thing.
At the Initiative, we are looking for collaborative problem-solvers who want to dive into something new and create groundbreaking experiences for our players. Join us for this once in a career opportunity to help build the studio, define culture, and create an environment to attract world-class talent.
The Initiative is seeking a Senior Concept Artist to create inspirational artwork which helps define our artistic vision. Qualified applicants will have extensive artistic expertise and imagination to explore iterations and produce final creative designs.
We're looking for a passionate, proactive, and driven artist who enjoys collaborating with others to create immersive experiences. You are versatile, have strong development and production-sense, and the expertise to inspire and mentor others to do their best work. Ideally, you are experienced across a range of styles with the ability to provide both 2D and 3D conceptual work across the team.
As an experienced Concept Artist, you will work directly with the art and design team, and other key stakeholders across disciplines, to deliver the following:
- Own and autonomously produce inspiring creative designs from inception through delivery of final illustrations
- Work with Art leads to define visual style guides and creative briefs to aid other artists
- Collaborate with key Art and Design stakeholders to create inspirational artwork to define artistic vision and support game design
- Apply strong traditional artistic skills with a expertise in composition, rendering, anatomy, color theory, perspective, lighting, environment, architectural, character, and graphic design
- Provide mentorship, art feedback and training to less-experienced concept artists
- Share a proactive mindset, provide creative ideas and solutions that help improve quality on the project
- Demonstrate a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years of conceptual experience in designing, developing, and shipping major game systems in a published game or entertainment with market or critical acclaim
- Demonstrated knowledge of Maya or other 3D software
- High level of expertise in Photoshop/Painter or equivalent software
- Exceptional portfolio that exhibits artistic style and design sensibility
- Experience in game development or broader entertainment
- Experience in world-building and environments
- Leadership and Management experience
- Advanced modeling and 3D rendering
- Traditional painting and rendering techniques
- Ability to storyboard or concept motion design
- Excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills
- Task driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Examples of personal and professional artwork
- Examples of understanding of the work flow of concept to creation
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.