|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Are you interested in structuring, valuing and negotiating complex financial transactions for one of the world’s largest technology companies? Our work underpins Microsoft Cloud Operations & Innovation team growth and expansion into new markets and diverse customer requirements.
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation team is looking for a strong candidate to evaluate and execute acquisitions, strategic investments, joint ventures and partnerships for Microsoft. The team interacts regularly with Microsoft’s senior leadership team. The team is looking for highly motivated merger and acquisition professionals with experience delivering opportunities as the intersect of real estate and technology.
Every company is looking to change how they use digital technology to fundamentally reimagine how they empower their employees, engage customers, optimize their operations and change the very core of their products and services. Microsoft is positioned to become the strategic digital transformation platform and partner of choice. Microsoft will reinvent productivity to empower every person and every organization on the planet to do more and achieve more. Microsoft is an active acquirer and has executed well over 100 acquisitions in the past 10 years, including Github, LinkedIn, Skype, and Mojang (Minecraft).
Strategy Development: Provide business support for Data Center M&A Head to collaborate with stakeholders across the company (engineering, marketing, sales, finance, legal) in development of business and product strategy, translate business and product strategy into an ecosystem strategy, and identify and architect partnerships and M&A opportunities that can drive significant new businesses for Microsoft. This role is integral in charting the future direction of Microsoft through participation in data center sector landscape-defining transactions.
Transaction Execution: Identify, develop and propose opportunities to support the broader partner strategy including developing the business case for an alliance (strategic rationales and economics), creatively structuring deal terms, and developing a negotiation strategy and leading negotiations. Communicate with all stakeholders at all stages of the deal process to secure buy-in and approvals. Drive deals to closure while maintaining a willingness to walk away from deals which do not meet business objectives or introduce an unacceptable risk.
Deal Governance: Monitor complex deal performance and track efficacy relative to expectations post-close. Maintain ongoing relationship with partners to ensure compliance and commitments are fulfilled.
External Partnerships: Maintain a network of relationships across the industry with partners, potential partners, acquisition targets, competitors, investors, thought leaders, etc. Leverage relationships in opportunity identification and transaction execution.
Industry Expertise: Be an expert in the competitive landscape including competitive and market dynamics and product and technology trends.
For any given deal, the person in this role will lead valuation, deal structuring and negotiation plans and definitive agreements and play a vital role in upfront idea generation, strategic evaluation and business planning, coordination of financial, technical, tax and legal due diligence, and post-close integration planning.
They will also interface with the investment banking, venture capital and startup communities and will work on special projects for Microsoft business group executives to evaluate new business opportunities.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Planning and Strategy: Business strategy and market development expertise with deep analytical and business modeling skills. Strong 360-degree strategic thinking is critical to success in the role.
- Passion: Create great end to end customer experiences including technology services that open new growth opportunities and innovations in business models and partnership models.
- Influence: Ability to influence and drive results in a complex and highly ambiguous technical and business environment including ability to communicate and influence all levels from senior executives on down and all functions (including engineering, marketing, sales, services, finance and legal)
- Collaboration: Independently leading cross-disciplinary virtual teams and driving key business development initiatives for moderately complex deals from creation to implementation in partnership with senior Microsoft executives.
- Key interpersonal traits: Motivation, creativity, adaptability, unquestionable ethics and integrity, bias towards data-based decision making and a willingness to take calculated risks
- Positive Attitude: Ability to contribute consistently and positively in a high-paced, fast-changing, and sometimes unpredictable work environment.
- Experience in merger and acquisition transactions or control equity investments with technology exposure a plus.
- 5+ years of experience in relevant business and technology sectors which could include experience in data center investment or business development, consulting, marketing, or relevant product development/data center/software engineering experience in a role that included external-facing engagement with customers/partners.
- Three to five years combined work experience from a top-tier investment bank, consulting firm, private equity firm and/or venture capital firm.
- Bachelor’s in business or related field or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Relevant experience in structuring, influencing/negotiating, and managing complex commercial deals and/or acquisitions
- Engineering degree or MBA
- Be a self-starter with passionate about technology
- Strong in financial analysis and business skills including:
o robust valuation expertise
o commercial, investment and acquisition contract review
o negotiation and due diligence and
o the ability to work independently across multiple groups in a rapidly changing business environment.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.