|Location:||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you want to work on the systems that drive the financial workflows in Microsoft ensuring that the financial numbers, statistics and insights that we record and report are accurate, timely and compliant? Do you want to work on cutting edge cloud technologies evolving our systems in a modern engineering manner? Do you want to be part of the team that prides itself by owning it services end to end, demonstrates growth mindset and continually lifts the bar with every single deliverable?
Microsoft is currently hiring senior software developers into our Core Service Engineering & Operations (aka. CSEO) organization at our site in Charlotte, North Carolina. This posting represents several open positions on a team of data-focused developers, transforming Microsoft’s global sales data into the future of revenue recognition and management reporting modeling. We are searching for all levels of software developers, program managers, and software engineering managers with a wide range of experience. CSEO provides career growth opportunities and a rewarding and flexible work environment so you can better integrate professional and personal life. Microsoft CSEO employees make global impact.
About working at Microsoft:
Working in Core Service Engineering & Operations at Microsoft offers many of the benefits of both working for a large company and working at a small start-up.
- Our CSEO teams are small and agile with every team member having the opportunity to learn and contribute broadly across their whole application or service. Our senior team members and leaders are accessible, hands-on with our teams, and can partner with other Microsoft product engineering teams focused on Microsoft Azure machine learning, data & analytics, enterprise cloud services, and more. We also have fun site-activities like family movie nights, site parties and events.
- On the other hand, as a large company, working at Microsoft offers many career opportunities in Charlotte, Redmond, and internationally. Employees may choose to grow personally as a developer in Charlotte or move through many different roles working on different products or in management, sales, or consulting. We also offer employees a wide range of training and professional development opportunities and have great employee volunteer and charitable giving programs.
What we develop:
Our team builds line of business applications and services for Microsoft’s finance organization to run Microsoft. This position specifically will modernize and build new functionality for Microsoft’s global revenue reporting and forecasting data warehouse, with which we model the previous 20 years and next 20 years of Microsoft’s total revenue – currently $130B+ of transactions per year. Our goal is to provide insights that enable greater revenue forecasting and profitability for the company.
Our services are built using wide variety of technologies such as Spark, Scala, HDInsight, C#, microservices, SQL, NoSQL, Databricks and are deployed in Azure. We expect all our systems to run with a DevOps model and value investments in automation and telemetry to deliver the best possible services.
What we are looking for:
Must. love. data. Our teams are seeking team members who love data to join us as we create and deliver mission critical big data business services and processes for Microsoft. You will have the opportunity to design and develop creative, compelling, and cutting-edge systems that support Microsoft’s world-wide operations. You will develop software and services at scale, innovating on the latest technologies as the earliest adopters while mentoring other team members.
- Design, Implement, Validate, Release components/services/systems using your software engineering (designing, coding, review, testing, debugging, problem solving and analytical) skills in agile team that will measurably add value to our business partners and stakeholders.
- Develop designs that are complete from a usability, reliability, security, performance, scale, maintainability, extensibility and built-with-ops-as-first class aspects for the different components/services/system(s) in a cloud world.
- Write highly efficient clean code that can process large amounts of transactions with low latency and high reliability
- Design and implement cloud-based distributed systems load balanced over hot/warm/cold storage solutions (blobs/parquet, azure tables, in-memory distributed caches)
- Design and implement accurate and actionable internal monitoring and tooling to help maintain business SLAs and system health
- Participate in On Call and Site Reliability rotations to support live site and drive engineered solutions to improve customer experiences.
- Learn with and as appropriate, lead the team in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes that progressively advances our services’ capabilities to its different stakeholders.
- Provide critical thinking, technical innovation, and attention to detail while serving as a trusted advisor in the organization.
- Gain understanding of Microsoft businesses and the varied processes along with their outcomes and collaborate with all stakeholders to contribute to a cohesive set of capabilities built to deliver frictionless experience.
- Define estimates, roadmaps and contribute to with strategy elements – from ideation to articulation to delivery.
- Stay educated on existing, emerging technologies and deliver POCs to evaluate technology development towards service modernization and capabilities enhancements.
- Collaborate effectively with other teams and disciplines and drives improvements in engineering at the org level.
- 7+ years of software engineering experience building and shipping large-scale, high performance, scalable systems and services
- 7+ years of experience with Relational databases and/or No-SQL databases
- 3+ years of Data Warehouse experience: data warehouse, reporting frameworks, relational or NoSQL database experience, Spark, Scala, HDInsight, Hadoop, etc.
- Proven experience as a technical peer-leader of a software engineering team, able to mentor and grow newer developers, organize and communicate complex technical concepts to business partners, and able to own and lead major features through design, development, and release.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative skills and/or practical experience
- Able to rotate an on-call schedule with availability after hours and on weekends to respond to critical live site issues
- The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Relevant work experience in the financial services industry, developing financial or payments systems and/or experience integrating with SAP is highly desired.
- DevOps or Full Stack experience: experience with operating highly available infrastructure and building APIs and services.
- Experienced agile practitioner (certified scrum master, scrum developer or scrum professional)
- Experience driving and establishing Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD) practices.
- Public Cloud solution experience: most solutions run in Azure and many utilize Service Bus, Service Fabric, or similar features. We are working on how Cortana AI, bots, and other emerging technologies can improve our tools and processes.
- Be able to translate problem solving techniques into code and have test driven development mindset.
#CSEO #CFE #CHARLOTTE #CSEOCLT
About our Charlotte site:
Microsoft first opened our Charlotte site in 1990 and employs approximately 1,200 people at our 22-acre campus in South Charlotte, just over the NC/SC border. Our site is also undergoing significant refresh to our common areas, lobbies, café, and game rooms. Local job opportunities vary widely from internal IT, to technical support, consulting, technical sales, account management, and product engineering roles. Many of our roles can be configured in a variety of flexible work arrangements including telework/ work from home, part-time, and job share, and Microsoft is consistently rated as a leading technology company and a great place to work.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow at Microsoft and encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.