|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
What is Yammer?
Microsoft Yammer is THE social network for the workplace. Millions of employees, including 85% of Fortune 500 companies use Yammer every day, to build community and culture, share knowledge, and connect with their leaders and each other.
Yammer was one of the first startup unicorns this past decade, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2012. A lot of what makes working at Yammer special is the unique blend of being a “startup” within a market-leading tech company.
You can be part of a renaissance at Microsoft,without leaving your love of Linuxand open sourcebehind.
Our team builds, maintains, and operates the systems that provide observability - metrics, logs, monitoring, request tracing - ofYammer’sproduction systems.
Effective and reliable observability is crucial to everything we do: from serving our customers, understanding our users, and growing our business.We work in small, cross-functional teams to build, maintain, and evolve the systems and tools that enable Yammer’s Product Engineering teams to move quickly at scale. As part of the team,you'llbe responsible for large scale, real-time systems that receive, enrich, analyze, index, and serve thousands of events per second and billions of documents every day.
You will have:
- Autonomy and freedom toinnovate
- Choice ofthe best of open source and Microsoft-internal technology
- Tons of opportunity for outsized impact
At the same time, we also have the benefits of working at a top-tier tech company like Microsoft:
- Compensation, benefits, and perks (especially in the Bay Area!)
- Internal resources, technology, and opportunities for learning and growth
- Brand and networking
- Opportunity for massive scale: Yammer sits within the Office 365 suite,which has 100M+users
It isa great time to join! We are already at scale, but we are rampingupeven more, and there’s so much uncharted territory in front of us.
- Develop and execute on theobservability andtelemetrystrategy
- Own the telemetryandmonitoringinfrastructure
- Continually seek deeper insightsinto the performance, reliability &scalability of our systems
- Improve service reliabilityfor the entire Yammer team,by reducing mean time to recovery (MTTR)
- Help all of Yammer prevent service incidentsaltogether
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- 3+ years of experience developing and operating cloud services
- Java, Python, or Golang proficiency
- Strong knowledge of log and metrics pipelines
- ELK (Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana), TICK, or equivalent
- Experience withWavefront,DataDog,NewRelic, or equivalent
- Familiarity with request tracing implementations like Jaeger,Zipkin, orOpentracing
- Micro services development, deployment, monitoring
- Curious about reliability and performance, up and down the stack
- Experience with large scale OLTP and OLAP deployments
- Azure | AWS | GCP automation
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.