|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the Role
We are looking for an Engineering Director to be part of the senior leadership team of the Industrial business unit. This role reports to the General Manager, and is responsible for the software team, strategy, and execution.
Samsara’s Industrial team is building modern industrial automation products, combining the best of IoT technology and traditional Industrial Automation approaches to help customers gain visibility into equipment and processes, improve the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of their operations. We work with customers in Water Utilities, Energy, Equipment OEMs, and Manufacturing.
Samsara’s network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that continually collects and stores observations about the world in near real-time, and allows industrial customers to make automated adjustments to their operations to improve efficiency.
Samsara’s approach to product development is rooted in a deep understanding of the customer. You’ll learn about our customers’ operations, understand the most important problems that we could solve for them, and develop a technical vision that maximizes the impact Samsara can make on the market.
This is a unique opportunity to join a small team in a hyper-growth company and have an outsized impact across different aspects of the business.
As an engineering director, you will lead a team of fullstack software and QA engineers, and are responsible for building an inclusive team that develops great products, iterates quickly based on customer feedback, and maintains a sense of urgency in building and maintaining a platform used in mission critical environments.
The ideal candidate for engineering director has a successful background as an engineer, has a strong technical vision, and understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration.
As a part of the senior leadership team, the scope for this role will include:
- Representing the software team in all aspects of business unit strategy and decision making
- Establishing team goals, metrics and roadmaps
- Coaching and mentoring managers & technical leads to deliver their best work and grow professionally
- Working with product management and technical leads to set the product direction, balancing near-term customer needs with long-term technical rigor
- Developing a culture of feedback through regular 1-1s, performance evaluations, and constant communication with the team
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement through blameless postmortems
- Identifying, recruiting, and onboarding top tier talent to the team
- Representing the industrial software team in collaborating with other Samsara business units and engineering teams to share best practices, leverage work from other teams, and ensure a great company-wide engineering culture
- And still coding on occasion to keep your sanity…
At Samsara, we value aligning small teams with customer use cases and giving the independence needed to quickly deliver impactful solutions. Software engineers on the full-stack team will work on designing and developing features for our web platform and mobile devices. This involves working on our backend log-processing and data analytics systems, as well as building out new user interfaces. Your team will tackle engineering challenges ranging from aggregating data from thousands of devices and sensors to presenting the data in intuitive ways that provide actionable insights for our customers’ operations, to building ultra-reliable industrial control devices.
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required, but an interest in becoming adept at them is.
An ideal candidate has:
- Has a history of building strong, diverse, inclusive teams
- Has a successful history writing software as an individual contributor software developer, is passionate about technology, and has experience striking a pragmatic balance between quality and deadlines
- Has experience delivering software, leading teams, managing managers, and motivating engineers in a fast paced environment
- Has interest in understanding our users and what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Has excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
If you are excited by the idea of working at a fast growing company, being constantly challenged by and learning from high-caliber engineers, owning and shaping full-stack processes and ultimately growing a world-class engineering team, we’d love to have you join our team!
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.