Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As Director and Senior Counsel you will serve as privacy counsel for the enterprise as part of the Security, Privacy, Infrastructure and Technology team within Discover’s Legal Organization. You will be responsible for advising internal business partners, product advisory attorneys, and Corporate Compliance to ensure Discover’s compliance with federal, state and international privacy and laws and regulations across its various product lines.
In this role you will:
- Serve as a legal subject matter expert on all aspects of U.S. and international privacy laws, including GLBA, Reg P, CCPA, GDPR, TCPA, FCRA, as well as state data protection laws and regulations
- Provide expert, practical legal advice and strategic support on privacy, data usage and data governance
- Partner with business and compliance professionals to develop strategic solutions that address privacy legal requirements and risks, including with respect to:
- New products and initiatives
- Vendor relationships
- Disclosures and Marketing
- Data governance
- Regulatory exams
- Policies, procedures and training
- Review collection, use and transfers of user data
- Draft privacy policies and review consumer disclosures
- Identify, assess and communicate legal and regulatory developments, and advise the business on best practices to comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- Advise on potential business impact of proposed changes to U.S., EU and other international privacy and data security laws and regulations
- Negotiate privacy and data protection-related provisions of complex technology and other commercial contracts
- Support regulatory activities, including related to regulatory exams
- Support company engagement with government, industry, and consumer groups on privacy issues
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and license (or ability to become licensed) to practice law in Illinois
- At least 6 years of experience as a privacy lawyer in consumer financial services or technology gained at a financial institution, regulatory agency or law firm
- Strong knowledge of GLBA, Reg. P, CCPA, FCRA (Reg. V), GDPR, TCPA and applicable data protection state laws and regulations
- Ability to plan and implement changes impacting the business as a result of emerging privacy laws
- Business-oriented professional with solid analytic skills and a proven ability to handle multiple complex matters simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to build and foster relationships
- Fintech experience, including digital platform issues experience preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization including senior management and regulators
- Experience driving, prioritizing, and effectively managing cross-functional initiatives, and an ability to both work independently and with large multi-stakeholder teams
- Creative thinker with strong judgment, initiative, and empathy
- CIPP/US certification is preferred
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.