|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you enjoy the challenge of discovering and analyzing vulnerabilities in software and services to understand how they work and how an attacker might exploit them? Are you excited by the idea of analyzing real-world exploits and researching new attack techniques? Are you passionate about driving meaningful security improvements into products and services to better protect billions of customers? Do you want to be part of an inclusive & collaborative team that invests in the growth and success of one another? The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) is responsible for detecting, protecting, and responding to threats that affect Microsoft’s products and services. We are looking for a motivated Security Software Engineer to join our team.
As part of the MSRC, our team is responsible for analyzing vulnerabilities found in Microsoft’s products and services to determine their root cause, severity, and security impact. This analysis plays a critical role in shaping the security updates that are deployed to customers. The knowledge that we gain from analyzing vulnerabilities also informs the offensive and defensive security research performed by our team. As part of this research, our team works collaboratively with many teams across Microsoft to investigate, develop, and deploy security features that help discover and mitigate the biggest threats to customers.
Our team is passionate about a range of topics including vulnerability discovery & automation, safer programming languages, exploit and vulnerability mitigations, software sandboxes, penetration testing & red teaming, exploit development, operating systems security (Windows and Linux), virtualization security, cloud services security, and hardware vulnerabilities and mitigations.
This is a unique opportunity to have a positive impact on improving safety for customers around the world and to work on challenging real-world security problems as part of a supportive and collaborative team.
- Analyzing vulnerabilities in software and services to determine their root cause, severity, and security impact
- Identifying variants of vulnerabilities and discovering new vulnerabilities
- Building tools and inventing new approaches to automate the discovery & analysis of vulnerabilities
- Analyzing trends in vulnerabilities being discovered to spot patterns
- Researching, developing, and deploying mitigations for common patterns of vulnerabilities
- Performing penetration testing, offensive security research, and red teaming activities
- Engaging with and contributing knowledge back to the security research community
- Mentoring and contributing to the growth of individuals within the team and across Microsoft
- Supporting a healthy and inclusive culture within the team and across Microsoft
- Ability to debug and root cause vulnerabilities in software and services
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Public track record of vulnerability research and discovery
- Familiarity with operating system internals for Windows and/or Linux
- Familiarity with cloud service architectures, design, and implementations
- Familiarity with exploitation techniques and mitigations
- Familiarity with hardware architectures such as x86-64 and AArch64
- Experience with reverse engineering binaries and exploits
- Experience developing software using C#, C++, C, or Rust
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.