Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
What You’ll Do
Advise business partners on understanding and mitigating the inherent risks throughout their business processes. Partner with the Discover Student Lending business to improve the control environment by developing new/revised controls and resolves open issues. Serve as a liaison between business unit and Corporate Risk Management (CRM), Compliance, Legal, Internal Audit and other Business Risk Office groups. Execute various preventative risk management activities and initiatives such as, but not limited to, risk and control assessments, business process documentation/mapping exercise, operational risk events reporting, key risk indicator reporting, business continuity planning, records management, and new initiative process.
How You’ll Do It
- Perform walk-throughs and consult on existing and new processes and, where appropriate, facilitate documentation thereof, including the identification of business risks and controls.
- Ensure that controls are in place to mitigate legal, regulatory, and other applicable business risks. Where control gaps exist, provide consultation on the design of controls and monitor until execution.
- Provide consultation on, and monitor timely execution of, essential risk processes and requirements including, but not limited to, business continuity planning and testing and records retention.
- Execute reporting, including operational risk events, key risk indicators, and business reviews in accordance with company policies and standards.
- Collaborate with business partners to ensure root-cause analysis is performed and that appropriate corrective action plans are put in place to address issues stemming from the risk assessments, internal audits, regulatory findings, business unit test monitoring, operational risk incidents, and other applicable sources where gaps are identified.
- Provide relevant risk training to meet current and evolving organizational requirements and/or business needs.
- Partner with the business to provide risk advisory and internal control support for new initiatives.
- Support business in execution of process and technology change management.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in finance, business management, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in risk management, internal controls, finance, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in risk management, internal controls, finance, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 8+ years of experience in risk management, internal controls, finance, or related field
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certification in Control Self-Assessment, RIMS-Certified Risk Management Professional, or related certification
- Experience working in Blueworks, Archer or other process mapping tools
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.