|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you want to work on the systems that drive the financial workflows in Microsoft ensuring that the financial numbers, statistics and insights that we record and report are accurate, timely and compliant? Do you want to work on cutting edge cloud technologies evolving our systems in a modern engineering manner? Do you want to be part of the team that prides itself by owning it services end to end, demonstrates growth mindset and continually lifts the bar with every single deliverable?
Microsoft is currently hiring a Principal Software Engineering Manager into our Core Service Engineering & Operations (aka. CSEO) organization. This position will provide overarching technical direction and people management to a team of data-focused developers transforming Microsoft’s global sales data into the future of revenue recognition and management reporting modeling. This posting represents several open positions. We are searching for all levels of software developers, program managers, and software engineering managers with a wide range of experience. CSEO provides career growth opportunities and a rewarding and flexible work environment so you can better integrate professional and personal life. Microsoft CSEO employees make global impact.
About working at Microsoft:
Working in Core Service Engineering & Operations at Microsoft offers many of the benefits of both working for a large company and working at a small start-up.
- Our CSEO teams are small and agile with every team member having the opportunity to learn and contribute broadly across their whole application or service. Our senior team members and leaders are accessible, hands-on with our teams, and can partner with other Microsoft product engineering teams focused on Microsoft Azure machine learning, data & analytics, enterprise cloud services, and more.
- On the other hand, as a large company, working at Microsoft offers many career opportunities. Employees may choose to grow personally as a developer or move through many different roles working on different products or in management, sales, or consulting. We also offer employees a wide range of training and professional development opportunities and have great employee volunteer and charitable giving programs.
What we develop:
Our team builds line of business applications and services for Microsoft’s finance organization to run Microsoft. This position specifically will modernize and build new functionality for Microsoft’s global revenue reporting and forecasting data warehouse, with which we model the previous 20 years and next 20 years of Microsoft’s total revenue – currently $130B+ of transactions per year. Our goal is to provide insights that enable greater revenue forecasting and profitability for the company.
Our services are built using wide variety of technologies such as Spark, Scala, HDInsight, C#, microservices, SQL, NoSQL, Databricks and are deployed in Azure. We expect all our systems to run with a DevOps model and value investments in automation and telemetry to deliver the best possible services.
What we are looking for:
Must. love. data. Our teams are seeking team members who love data to join us as we create and deliver mission critical big data business services and processes for Microsoft. The ideal candidate will have experience in managing engineering teams, designing, developing and running enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms and agile development practices. This position also requires the candidate to have a proven ability to mentor developers and to collaborate across multiple teams/orgs.
- Design, Implement, Validate, Release components/services/systems using your software engineering (designing, coding, review, testing, debugging, problem solving and analytical) skills in agile team that will measurably add value to our business partners and stakeholders.
- Develop designs that are complete from a usability, reliability, security, performance, scale, maintainability, extensibility and built-with-ops-as-first class aspects for the different components/services/system(s) in a cloud world.
- Write highly efficient clean code that can process large amounts of transactions with low latency and high reliability
- Design and implement cloud-based distributed systems load balanced over hot/warm/cold storage solutions (blobs/parquet, azure tables, in-memory distributed caches)
- Design and implement accurate and actionable internal monitoring and tooling to help maintain business SLAs and system health
- Participate in On Call and Site Reliability rotations to support live site and drive engineered solutions to improve customer experiences.
- Learn with and as appropriate, lead the team in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes that progressively advances our services’ capabilities to its different stakeholders.
- Provide critical thinking, technical innovation, and attention to detail while serving as a trusted advisor in the organization.
- Gain understanding of Microsoft businesses and the varied processes along with their outcomes and collaborate with all stakeholders to contribute to a cohesive set of capabilities built to deliver frictionless experience.
- Define estimates, roadmaps and contribute to with strategy elements – from ideation to articulation to delivery.
- Stay educated on existing, emerging technologies and deliver POCs to evaluate technology development towards service modernization and capabilities enhancements.
- Collaborate effectively with other teams and disciplines and drives improvements in engineering at the org level.
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Design, Software Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
- 5 years' minimum experience in a leadership position managing enterprise platform, product, or services teams
- Able to rotate an on-call schedule with availability after hours and on weekends to respond to critical live site issues
- 2+ years relevant work experience with big data or content delivery. Work with financial data is a plus.
- This is a team manager role, so 2+ years of prior experience managing software engineers or developers is preferred but not required.
- Strong technical background and solid foundation in software engineering principles and architecture design balanced with understanding the business solutions needed
- Ability to quickly ramp on new service offerings and technical components
- A passion for improving and designing engineering practices and for Engineering Excellence which delight customers
- Strong networking, written and verbal communication skills
- Public Cloud data and solution experience: most solutions run in Azure and many utilize Spark, SQL, ADF or similar features.
- A principled approach to AI and ML applications on enterprise data
- Proven experience as a technical leader of a software engineering team, passion for mentoring and growing developers, organize and communicate complex technical concepts to business partners, and able to own and lead major features through design, development, and release.
Many of our roles can be configured in a variety of flexible work arrangements including telework/ work from home, part-time, and job share, and Microsoft is consistently rated as a leading technology company and a great place to work.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow at Microsoft and encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.