|Job Type:||Full Time|
Now more than ever, Microsoft has a unique opportunity to help students and job seekers from all over the world rapidly gain new skills and to help employers upskill their workforces. Microsoft’s Learn Content organization is looking for a Principal Program Manager to lead a team in support of a company-wide Global Skilling Initiative. This team plays a critical role ensuring customers get the skills they need to realize the full potential of Microsoft technology, in particular: Azure’s offerings across Cloud Applications & Infrastructure, Data & AI, and Security.
At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. The Content & Learning (C&L) organization within the Cloud + AI division plays a critical role in this mission by providing free technical documentation and learning experiences to individuals around the world, helping people learn, adopt, and use Microsoft technologies to achieve their goals. Within C&L, the Learn Content organization is responsible for building trust with customers with relevant, high quality, engaging content on Microsoft Learn.
Microsoft Learn (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/) is where we reach millions of customers at a critical moment in their digital transformation: when they are trying to gain a new skill. Microsoft Learn launched only a year and a half ago but today we have over a thousand training modules and comprehensive learning paths for over a dozen highly technical industry roles such as Azure Developer and Solution Architect. We offer online, technical micro-training on over 80 Microsoft products and services, in 17 languages, authored by dozens of teams across Microsoft.
Microsoft Learn is comprised of several major portfolios: Modern Life, Modern Work, Business Applications, Cloud Applications & Infrastructure, Data & AI, and Security. The Learn Azure Portfolio PM role would be responsible for the catalog composition and priorities for the latter three: Cloud Applications & Infrastructure, Data & AI, and Security. You will lead a team of approximately 6 to 8 direct reports (portfolio managers) each responsible for logical groupings of content within those topic areas.
You and your team must
- Understand and obsess about Azure technology.
- Understand learner needs, business priorities, and how to align them.
- Own and drive the MS Learn Azure catalog composition and roadmap priorities.
- Make our catalog offerings and gaps visible to stakeholders.
- Measure and report on the performance of MS Learn modules and learning paths.
- Establish dependencies on content contributors.
- Plan, execute, deliver, and share accountability with key stakeholders.
- Partner with sibling teams to improve content health and performance.
- Make sure customers can find relevant content, trust what they find, and can practice what they are learning.
- Make sure content offerings are effective and fuel business growth.
- Drive improvements to the content experience by collaborating with MS Learn and docs.microsoft.com Product and Design teams.
- Align MS Learn content with other major Microsoft content channels such as training that takes place in a classroom or at Microsoft events.
Strong candidates will have broad and rich knowledge of Microsoft’s cloud technologies and industry trends. The best candidates will be able to work with leaders of all levels to make informed decisions about our priorities. Ideal candidates will be able to lead a team to plan, execute, measure, and repeat success.
You will need to be able to dive deep, simplify for others, and communicate effectively with all levels of employee, from content authors to executives. We need a resourceful builder comfortable in a start-up environment but who can also work in a complex, matrixed organization. Ideal candidates have experience with technical content, instructional design, operational best practices such as weekly business reviews and data-driven decision making, Lean methodologies, and change management (such as ADKAR). As a team leader you will play an important part establishing cultural norms by modeling operational excellence.
This role will focus on Microsoft Learn’s Azure content but will work closely with portfolio management teams and other content teams on the docs.com platform. We are looking for a teammate with a growth mindset who embraces failing-fast to foster personal and organizational development and who will actively cultivate an inclusive culture that values open communication and empathy.
- Develop and lead a high performing cohesive team who understands and executes against a shared vision.
- Plan and drive MS Learn’s Azure portfolio roadmap and backlog.
- Ensure priorities align with those of key stakeholders.
- Show content development capacity versus demand.
- Operationalize joint portfolio planning and joint execution and delivery with key partners.
- Report out on your team’s operations and impact.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of Azure technology.
- Demonstrated success building and leading teams.
- Strong project, program, and/or portfolio management capabilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent data-driven storytelling.
- Able to simplify for others and focus a group on what matters, from SMEs to executives.
- Able to create and apply Objectives and Key Results (OKR’s) to support team goals.
- Adept at coaching and mentoring others.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships and trust with stakeholders.
- Experience with any: instructional design, learning, training, evangelism, or marketing.
- Able to drive cross-team and cross-functional collaboration to solve problems, innovate, and improve the customer experience.
- 5+ years working in matrixed organizations in the tech sector as a project and/or program manager.
- Previous experience leading programs with geographically distributed participants.
- BA degree in relevant studies or equivalent work experience (such as learning and development, business management, or engineering).
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.