|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you someone who loves to work on complex problems for sophisticated customers who care deeply about both productivity and ease-of-use? Do you yearn to work on products which are used and loved by millions? The Developer Division Design Team is looking for aPrincipal Design Managerwho is passionate about technology and interested in defining and delivering a first-class user experience for the Visual Studio. You will be joining a group of talented user experience specialists working on software development tools and technologies who focus on defining, designing and delivering a superior user experience for developers and their teams. This area includes a broad spectrum of design challenges spanning client applications, multiple programming languages, database and web development, source control, AI integration and more.
Your responsibilitieswillinvolveleading and supporting the team by modeling,coachingand caring for them as individuals and designers. Additionally, you’ll be expected tocollaboratewith multi-disciplinary teams (program management, development, user research and external teams)todriveexcellence in the final visual details of ourVisual Studio. You’ll do this by managing the team to collaborate across a diverse set of disciplines, while developing a positive work environment that fosters inclusivity and a growth mindset.
Critical to this role will be to inspire those around you, empathetic people management skills, the ability to be comfortable in extremely ambiguous environments, break down large & complex problems into solvable chunks, and aburning desire to manage complexity on behalf of our developer customers worldwide.
- Defining and driving people management responsibilities for individual team members and across the team.
- Evaluating and hiring multi-disciplinary talent to build and grow the team.
- Creating an invigorating and positive work environment and culture
- Driving deep engagements with product teams on product design.
- Monitoring and holding product teams accountable to recommendations.
- Deliveringsimplicity to users in areas which have a high level of system complexity
- Applyingand communicating a solid rationale for all design decisions.
- Creating guidelines, best practices, and repeatable design patterns.
- Creating and maintaining a scalable engagement framework that maximizes the reach and product impact of theVisual Studiodesign team.
- 5-10 years of people management experience.
- Understanding ofcommon developer workflowconceptsand challenges.
- Experience designing at least one product targeted at a deeply technical user.
- Experience in HCI, user experience design, and implementation.
- Expertise building scalable partner engagement processes.
- Experience educating, partnering, & influencing product teams.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary, start-up team environment where you’ll be expected to wear multiple hats and move frequently between projects.
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines, while maintaining excellent communication.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.