About the role
Be responsible for developing and supporting high-value opportunities within partner accounts for IVD focused commercial development programmes, using products and services from across the Abcam organisation to deliver enhanced client value
Identify new opportunities and develop commercial relationships with new and existing accounts in Diagnostics/Biotech/Pharma and CRO’s where Abcam’s products and services can add value to diagnostic programmes
Prospect for leads and identify new opportunities to develop business relationships at key accounts with a special focus on high potential commercial licensing opportunities, primarily focused on Companion Diagnostics
About the Business Development Team
Business Development builds external partnerships that deliver on Abcam’s strategic goals and objectives. These partnerships will utilize our broad capabilities to position Abcam as the partner of choice and the global leader in affinity reagents from discovery through to the clinic.
Working across the organization, we aim to position the full scope of Abcam’s technology platforms and expertise to deliver strategic commercial partnerships and capture downstream revenue opportunities within the Commercial research, Pharmaceutical, and Diagnostics industry segments. Most importantly, we are working together with these partners to take their discoveries beyond research and into development of products that will help patients across the globe.
Roles and responsibilities
- Support management of a portfolio of strategic partners, and lead ideation for new partnership opportunities for CRO’s and IVD Tissue Diagnostics companies based on Abcam’s capabilities and its positioning within with the IVD and Pharmaceutical sectors
- Work with custom development and Key account teams to grow Abcam’s strategic partnering activities through supporting their activities and driving high-value, long-term partnerships.
- Build a robust pipeline of high-quality, actionable opportunities that achieve annual revenue and margin targets for selected accounts.
- Delivery of pitch decks and run the process of external engagement for out-licensing opportunities for commercial IVD and Pharmaceutical opportunities
- Work with cross-functional teams in opportunity assessment to deploy robust financial analyses to value projects and terms as deal process milestones are met (e.g., term sheet drafting, contract negotiation and execution, post-closing value projections)
- Work closely with Commercial/Scientific Support teams to identify new opportunities to develop scale commercial relationships in Tissue Dx and CRO.
- Inform on product tactics, providing customer insights to the marketing/portfolio team
Our Key Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in scientific field, preferred majors in molecular biology or biotechnology
- Proven experience in Strategic account partnering or Business Development in IVD or Pharma/biotech industrial fields
- Experience in or working with CRO or Tissue based clinical assay or CDx development an advantage
- Fundamental understanding of drug discovery and development, and exposure to Abcam’s IVD and Therapeutic areas of interest
- Experience drafting and negotiating confidential disclosure agreements (CDAs), term sheets, and other agreements (licensing, MTA, co-development, etc)
- Ability to understand and use financial models to make recommendations or decisions on commercial terms
- Highly motivated and self-starter who thrives in a collaborative environment and can exercise keen judgment while navigating open-ended situations with a good degree of independence
- Strong presentation skills and comfortable with C-suite executive audiences
- Ability to travel as required within Europe or USA
- Dynamic personality, team player with open communication style.
- Excellent client facing skills and ability to develop deep, long-term relationships
- Able to work autonomously and effectively in a matrixed, flexible working environment
- Results focused
- Flexible to meet the demands of the role
- High level of integrity and ethics
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.