|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s devices are an integral component in our mission of empowering every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. These devices, from Surface to Xbox, passing through HoloLens and the various PC accessories, combine with Microsoft Windows and our productivity tools to generate magical experiences in the hands of millions of customers.
The tens of millions of devices manufactured and shipped each year, not only need to perform as expected, but they need to be safe. The Microsoft Devices Product Safety team, located in Redmond, WA, is looking for an experienced, driven, and creative individual; one who loves challenges, working in a fast paced environment, and who is passionate about safety and the intricacies of the international regulatory programs.
The ideal candidate is a detailed oriented self-starter with a proven track record of ensuring that innovative hardware products are safe and compliant, without sacrificing cutting edge functionality. She or he should have a vision of what a world-class product safety program looks like. Occasional travel may be required.
The position reports to the Director of Product Safety in the Reliability, Device Analysis, Environmental Compliance, and Safety (RDES) group. This position is responsible for:
- Support multiple hardware development teams, from planning through mass production, with respect to safety compliance and energy efficiency requirements, testing, and labeling, to ensure that all products meet such requirements throughout the world
- Research and establish the applicable safety and energy efficiency regulatory requirements
- Obtain and maintain safety and energy regulatory compliance certifications in all markets
- Conduct validation and certification testing at in-house lab
- Interface with third-party testing labs to coordinate testing and certification
- Participate in design and gate reviews with development leads and project teams
- Provide accurate communication, project status updates and reporting across groups
- Represent Microsoft in relevant technical standard writing committees and industry organizations
- Maintain knowledge of applicable regulations and their upcoming changes, alerting relevant stakeholders inside Microsoft of their potential impact
- Maintain a test laboratory under UL CTDP and IEC SMT
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering (Master’s preferred)
- Five years of proven experience with product compliance programs (consumer electronics preferred) in design or manufacturing settings
- Hands on experience working in an electronics testing lab performing validation work
- Familiarity with consumer electronics manufacturing (CM and ODM) and associated auditing tasks
- Familiarity with development tracking platforms like JIRA, JAMA, Azure DevOps, as well as reporting tools like PowerBI
- Familiarity with IEC 60950-1, IEC 62133, IEC 62368-1, ISO 17025, UL 1642 and UL 2054
- Familiarity with energy efficiency programs
- Familiarity with lab proficiency test programs
- Experience with an ISO-based quality management systems (ISO 9001, 10377) and Certification Body Testing Laboratory accreditations
- Understanding of technical standard writing bodies (technical committee participation preferred)
- Demonstrated strong project and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required to seamlessly work across groups and at all levels
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.