|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As an Engineer with a focus and concentration on the Control of Hazardous Energy (Energy Marshall), you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Be at the forefront of the action in CO+I as part of our Global Datacenter Critical Environment Team!
As a successful Critical Environment Electrical Engineer (Energy Marshall) you must have a strong desire and capability to learn, grow, and develop new skills while empowering a culture of safety, security, and compliance in all aspect of data center activities. Your understanding of the design and functionality of your datacenter in support of 24x7x365 on-site datacenters operations and MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing) infrastructure while acting as the technical authority for on-site operations related to a large-scale mission critical MEP system, design, and functionality is critical to success.
You have responsibilities including but not limited to being responsible for the overall energy isolation program management at the site for MEP energy. Accountability to ensure all activities related to the energy isolation process is coordinated and executed across the assigned location(s) according to established policies and procedures. Performance objectives should also include:
- Ensure safe working conditions have been established by reviewing documentation (including procedures, job hazard analysis, and permits) and auditing the energy program for construction, commissioning, maintenance and operations activities
- Work with construction and commissioning teams to ensure safe working conditions to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of MEP systems.
- Support the management of the electrical infrastructures throughout datacenter campus ranging from a single large capacity facility, to several smaller ones
- Partner closely with Environmental, Health, and Safety teams to drive Operational Excellence in all aspects of the Control of Hazardous Energy
- Training new and existing employees in defined Energy Isolation process and procedure
- College/university/professional degree in Electrical, Industrial, Process Engineering, or related work experience
- 5+ years of experience with industrial or commercial field engineering in mission critical facilities and electrical infrastructures
- 3+ years of experience developing and supporting programs in electrical safety in alignment with NFPA70E, National Electrical Code (NEC), and OSHA requirements as it relates to Data Center best practices
- 3+ years of experience in the Control of Hazardous Energy in complex mission critical infrastructure
- Strong experience with the operation and maintenance of building MEP systems. (Power distribution, lighting, grounding, fire alarm, security, life safety, and controls systems)
- Established understanding of electrical theory and practical application via your maintenance & operation of critical electrical equipment. (Paralleling switchgear, redundant UPS systems, DC battery strings, multi-source electrical utility switchgear, standby diesel generators, etc.)
- Knowledge of construction techniques, terminology, and documentation (Your ability to interpret blueprints, electrical one-lines, construction drawings etc.)
- Practical experience with building management systems and automation, controls & frameworks
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.