Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Seeking a Principal Test Environment Architect within Discover Financial Services - Business Technology. As a member of Enterprise Software Quality team, Principal Test Environment Architect will be spearheading Test Environment & Infrastructure transformations, by designing and implementing environments that support both On-Prem and Cloud infrastructures.
Responsible for defining the testing strategy with a SAFe Agile Release Train to ensure that quality is built in from the start. In collaboration with the Application Architects and Product Managers, the QE Architect will assist in driving to deliver a fully automated development lifecycle focused on delivering a platform capable of full automation between the development and production environments. The individual will be required to foster collaboration and provide thought leadership while contributing to core products for the department.
- Lead architecture and design of on premise, private and public cloud compute/server infrastructure to support testing across Card, Bank and Payment Services applications that includes Infrastructure, Code and Data.
- Responsible for assisting in the establishment of the Test Environment Architecture practice, and the adoption of an architecture and standards methodology.
- Drive proficiency via automation for internal and external compute infrastructure, configuration and common management tasks and analytics for performance, utilization and cost efficiency.
- Document and promote best practices on site reliability, availability and redundancy.
- Partner with Test Operations to plan infrastructure transitions, upgrades, technical refresh and preventative maintenance.
- Execute security and compliance requirements.
- Evaluate and select automation, functional and performance engineering tools for different products and applications.
- Provide working prototypes to confirm the feasibility of technical solutions.
- Develop best practices, procedures and enable continuous improvement.
- Design QA infrastructure to support scaling of test environments that meet business needs.
- Collaborate with Value Stream Architects, Quality Architects and Test Data Management Architects to design and build Test Environments to measure, manage and progress on quality engineering roadmap and delivery outcomes.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Associates in Information Technology or related field.
- 6+ years in Test Management or related.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 10 years of experience in software development and quality engineering.
- At least 5 years of experience as a software architect.
- Prior working knowledge on life cycle management of containerized, bare metal and virtualized infrastructure environments including architecture, deployments and operations.
- Ability to lead projects involving design, automation and rollout out of enterprise workloads and applications on Docker, Kubernetes and Microservice based environments.
- Hands-on knowledge of server OS and virtualization solutions used for on-premise infrastructure including VMWare, KVM, LINUX (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu) on x86, Dell and HP server infrastructure.
- Experience on mainframe code (COBOL), JCL , DB2, CICS, VSAM, MQ, QMF, CLIST, Endevor, Smartis, and OPC Scheduler.
- Prior experience in Data Center Infrastructure management tools for solution management, performance, capacity, cost and utilization analysis.
- Scripting skills using Python, Ansible, Puppet/Chef/CFEngine, Terraform.
- Exposure to applications developed on AWS, PCF or similar platforms.
- Ability to read and analyze application logs, GC logs, thread dumps, head dumps etc.
- Experience in JVM and SQL queries performance tuning.
- Ability to identify system bottlenecks and resource leaks with strong troubleshooting, problem solving & reasoning skills.
- Experienced with Service Virtualization using open source or commercial tools.
- Ability to collaborate with application, technical and value stream architects and software development engineers to ensure design for quality practices and tooling are formulated and adhered.
- Ability to collaborate with sr. management for managing quality deliverables and outcomes.
- Effective interpersonal skills and collaborative management style to include teamwork and team building ability.
- Detail oriented communication and documentation skills.
- Working knowledge of REST, RPC service patterns and web sockets and other client/server interaction models is a plus
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.