|Job Type:||Full Time|
Office 365 Substrate Search Extensibility team forms the back bone of search in Office 365 platform. The search extensibility team works on hard problems like content processing pipeline and indexing, ingestion flow, flow control and rate limiting services, scaling of enterprise search indexes, provisioning of shards etc. This Engineering Manager will manage a team of 8-10 engineers who will drive some of the above efforts in the system.
Office 365 Substrate is critical to Microsoft’s cloud strategy and it is experiencing tremendous growth, with 200 million monthly active commercial users and billions of consumer users. The Substrate is a massively distributed cloud service with O(exabyte) data handled by O(100K) servers in O(100) data-centers around the entire globe, and it's a joint effort across Office 365 teams as well as Windows and Bing.
If you enjoy working on a core technology, this is a fantastic opportunity to build solutions and user experiences that will be used by hundreds of millions of people worldwide in the cloud, as well as on-premise in the largest organizations on this planet.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager with a passion for team building and solving hard problems related to big data, real time event processing, and building software at very large scale.
A successful candidate will show skills in the following areas:
- Proven ability as a people manager and a role model for the team
- Solid experience managing a team of senior engineers and growing them.
- Ability to drive areas with the team and evolve project plans by thoughtful planning and execution.
- Ability to foster a culture of diversity and inclusion and create an environment for innovation.
- Build strong trust within the team and the ability to tackle problems with optimism.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- 10 years of software development experience with some of them in management
- A degree in computer science/computer engineering, another STEM field, or any other discipline. Individuals with a degree in a non-STEM field who have retrained as a software engineer and demonstrated a commitment to lifelong learning are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity in one or more OOP languages, such as: Java, C#, C++.
- Continuously building stronger coding, design, and problem-solving skills.
- Server and/or service experience is desirable.
- Understanding of data analysis and machine learning is beneficial, but not required.
- Proven ability to quickly ramp up on new technologies.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role.
These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.