Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
About Internal Audit
Discover’s Internal Audit (IA) Department has a commitment to provide insightful perspectives, leverage specialized talent, and deliver a refreshing experience to all of our stakeholders. This commitment is met through collaborative, hard-working, highly motivated, and technically skilled professionals who consistently deliver high-quality work in a challenging and fast-paced environment. IA brings a consultative and progressive approach to their work, which is predicated on a culture of enhancing risk management and business outcomes for Discover, actively contributing to the development of its professionals, and embracing a mindset of innovation and continuous improvement. The department of approximately 150 professionals globally is viewed as a critical piece of the risk management framework and is valued as a trusted voice and indispensable partner.
We are seeking an energetic leader to deliver on Discover Card audit objectives and ongoing coverage of related risks. This leader will use best-in-class methodologies and provide strategic direction to ensure quality reports and provide high-value insights. Additionally, this audit director will allocate staff in accordance with the audit plan, continuously evaluate allocations of resources, and make necessary adjustments based on needs and changes. This leader will be tasked with improving efficiency and effectiveness of the team while mentoring junior team members to lead through change as Discover leverages next generation capabilities.
In this role you will:
- Use operational and technical skills to support the Department objectives
- Follows the Audit methodology and provide strategic direction on the audits of coverage area
- Ensure a high quality of the audit work and the audit reports
- Appropriately allocate audit staff in accordance with the pre-determined audit plan and budget hours and be able to adapt allocation of resources when audit plan changes
- Develop the annual audit universe for coverage area and be able to make adjustments based on needs and change
- Supervise the execution of complex audits in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Provide strategic guidance and expertise on audit execution by applying knowledge of (company/industry/IT) best practices and processes to ensure proper strategic alignment.
- Share input and ensure proper identification and assessment of key business risks and controls.
- Produce findings/reports that are high-substantive quality, well-drafted and communicated, and delivered on schedule in conformity with department policy and procedures.
- Support, supervise, and develop staff as part of career development initiatives, including rotation programs within Discover, Change Initiative, etc.
- Staff audit and review with appropriately skilled resources. Assign staff roles that allow for their professional development. Manage staff development and job satisfaction, resulting in improved EOS scores.
- Execute and maintain the approved audit plan on schedule, maximizing resources and recommending plan changes as business developments arise.
- Supervise the Audit Finding Action Status Updates/Verification/ORE verification for your areas of responsibility.
- Ensure regulatory items are effectively completed, validated, documented and reported timely.
- Ensure adequate participation in exams and effective verification of closed regulatory items.
- Participate in and support department strategic initiatives based on defined governance structure (for specific initiative) to improve Internal audit processes.
- Execute activities and committee meetings across the enterprise, including effective and timely reporting in line with regulatory expectations.
What it takes:
- Bachelor's degree in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
- 10+ years of experience in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
- 2+ years of people management, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Master's degree in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in leading public accounting or consulting firm, highly regulated environment, payment network and related technology services, Six Sigma, leading people in cross-cultural/international teams, or related experience
- Business, Six Sigma, Risk, STEM, or related certifications
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.