|Job Type:||Full Time|
As the rate of adoption of AI technologies grows, so too has Microsoft’s commitment to ensuring that we develop and deploy our AI technologies in ways that uphold our principles and warrant people’s trust. The Office of Responsible AI plays a leading role in this effort as part of Microsoft’s Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) team. We establish internalpolicyforhow engineering and sales teams enact responsible AI, enable our community of Responsible AI Champs, and reviewengineeringand customerprojects thatrequire additionalinputbased on potential impact. We also help to shape new laws, norms, and standards to advance responsible AI for the benefit of society at large.
Reporting to Microsoft’s Chief Responsible AI Officer, theSenior Director,Responsible AI Engineeringwill infuse engineering expertise and knowledgethroughoutall aspectsoftheOffice of Responsible AI’s work.Youwillhelpto specify responsible AI requirementsat scale,workingacross engineering teams to understandresponsible AI challenges,thesystemsand practicesin place toaddressthose challenges,identifygaps, anddefineengineering requirements to fillthem. The ideal candidate will be able tostart with anambiguous issue,integrateinput fromstakeholders across the company(includingsignal on emerging laws and standards from the Office of Responsible AI’s public policy workstream),andcraftactionable and measurableengineeringapproachesthat will further Microsoft’sleadership inresponsible AI.You willhave astrong record ofcollaboration across teamsandan appetitetotenaciously pursueinnovation andexcellence in responsible AI engineering.
- Bring technical expertise and knowledge of Microsoft engineering practices totheprocess of defining the structure, requirements, and implementation of the Responsible AI Standard, our internal set of rules for upholdingMicrosoft’sresponsible AI principles.
- Identifyengineeringblockers to the implementation of the Responsible AI Standard, and determine strategies for overcoming them.
- Partner withengineering teams and theirresponsible AIfunctionstodrive the development ofengineering systems and tooling tosupport coordinated implementation ofresponsible AI practices.
- Manageand developa high-performingteam of colleagues responsible for enabling ourresponsible AI effort in engineering teams through community-building and readiness activities.
- Support the development of corporate training and awareness activities.
- Represent Microsoftin customer and partner meetings, conferences,andatother external events.
Implementing responsible AI at scale is a new professional path and we are open to candidates with experience from multiple backgrounds. In general,candidates should have:
- Experience:A computer science, data science, mathematics, engineering, or other technical degree and10+ years’ experience in engineeringor data science.Experience in engineering to achieve responsible AI outcomes is highly desirable, as is experience in thetranslation ofprivacy,security,or accessibility mandates into engineering requirementsthatoperate at scale. Proven ability to define success metrics fornew and fast-growingprograms.
- Stakeholder Engagement:Aproven track record of being able to engage and influence a variety of stakeholders, both within and outside Microsoft. A key attribute will be the ability to work across multiple disciplines and cultures, since the responsible AI domain necessarily requires engagement with machine learning experts, social scientists, human rights experts, and many others around the globe.
- Risk Assessment, Mitigation and Ambiguity: Experience working with risk management frameworks or in situations assessing risk, balancing benefits and potential harms, and providing guidance and advice on how to mitigate risk and operate within certain guardrails.
- Communication Skills:Highly developed written and oral communication skills. Must beable to proactively advance company positions through high impact engagement in small and/or large group settings, including communications with business leaders.
- Collaborative:A strong record of being an effective team player dedicated to collective successes. The ability to promote cooperation and solve problems in a timely, creative, and professional manner.
- Agility:The ability to navigate ambiguity and adapt to rapidly changing environments and demands.
- Growth Mindset:A strong record of experimentation, learning from both successes and failures.
- Company Values:Demonstrated commitment to the company’s core values, including a commitment to high ethical standards, unquestioned integrity, and a commitment to advancing the company’s diversity & inclusion commitments.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.