|Job Type:||Full Time|
The gameindustry,the fastest growingsector of theentertainmentindustry,isbeingheavilydisrupted by cloud technology. Virtually all game developers are evolving to deliverGames-as-a-Service, centered on continuous content delivery and player engagement, and require accelerated production environments, agile back-end infrastructure, and live ops services.
Microsoft is uniquely positioned to lead this transformation to cloud-basedgaming, thanks toassets like our first party studios (Halo, Minecraft), our Xbox gaming platform,and Azure,the fastest-growing business in Microsoft’s history.
The GamingVerticalteamleadsMicrosoft’s business selling tools and services togame creators. Our mission is to empower game creators to realize their dreams.We have a startup culture in which we dream big, move fast, and work directly with our customers.Our aspiration is nothing short of delivering the world’s best cloud platform for game developers across the entire gaming life cycle, from development, to testing and deployment, to ongoingoperation and monetization.
TheCTOfor the Gaming Verticalwill be a technical architect and leader for Microsoft’s overall cloudplatformforgame developers.
The ideal candidate willdeeply understand theGame Industry on a global basis, andin particular howthe shift towardGaaSis pushing game developers and publishers to transform their businesses. You willhave personal experience designing and building cloud services for games, withrecognizedindustry-wide visibility and leadership around the cloud.
Working directly with both customer andinternal technologyleaders alike, this role presents an opportunity to have a tangible impact onthe future of the game industry, as well asfuelour customers’ success.
In this role you will:
- Workwith product teams across Microsoft,with a focus onAzure andPlayFab,to identify technologies relevant to gamingcloud services, and map competitive gaps and advantages. You will be responsible for helping guide our overall technology roadmapand will drivedevelopmentof end-to-end solutions to meet developer needs in gaming.
- Evangelize Microsoft gamingcloudtechnology toboththegame industry at large, and specific customers.You will be expected to have strong opinions;author blog posts, technical white papers,and customer case studies;give talks at industry events;and join strategic sales calls as needed.
- Helpidentify andevaluate strategic partnershipswithISV’s needed tofillout our gaming cloud platformand build an effective ecosystem.
- Have a strong visionforwhere the industry isgoing, andstay on top of new technologies that may prove disruptive in the future.
- Roll up your sleeves and experiment with new technologies. Build proof-of-concept prototypes to try out new ideas or stitch together end-to-end solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the game industry, with exposureto creators of all sizes, from small indie studios up to massive AAA developers.
- Recognized leader across the game industry, witha track record of speaking at industry events.
- 6+ years of experience as an engineering leader, with focus on cloud and backend services, such as a CTO, engineering director, technical director, or other such role.
- Excellent at interfacing with customers, and a strongdesire to help them succeed.
- The abilitytocommunicate to senior decision makers in a clear, compelling way,andtodrive decisive action in partnership with others in a large, matrixed organization.
- Exceptional communication, leadership andinfluencingskills.Abilityto work independently in highly ambiguous environments, with both technical and business groups internally and externally.
- Deep familiarity with modern cloud technologies, including AWS, Azure, or GCP, and modernagiledevelopment practices, including DevOps.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.