Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Advises Finance business partners on understanding and mitigating the inherent risk throughout their business processes. Partners with the business to improve the control environment by developing new/revised controls and resolves open issues. Serves as a liaison between Finance business partners and Corporate Risk Management (CRM), Compliance, Legal, and other Business Risk Office groups. Executes various Preventative Risk Management activities and initiatives such as but not limited to risk and control assessments, operational risk events reporting, key risk indicator reporting, business continuity planning, records management, and new initiative process.
This position will report to the Senior Manager of Accounting Analysis/Treasury Support teams and will be responsible for development, documentation and enhancement of allowance for credit losses and troubled debt restructuring accounting and disclosure processes, in accordance with GAAP/regulatory guidance and in support of implementation of new accounting for credit losses. This position will also provide support for accounting and disclosure processes related to Treasury and CRA activities. In these capacities, this role will also collaborate with peer managers responsible for certain related critical processes and effectively coordinate utilization of support staff to achieve objectives. This role requires an individual who can independently, proactively and effectively ensure advancement of multiple priorities and completion within required timeframes, while ensuring risk awareness and effective controls and adherence to required quality standards. This role requires an individual capable of critical thinking, including demonstrating theoretical understanding of trends and summarizing information. This role must partner closely with the broader Controller’s team, LOB Finance, Corporate Risk, CMDS, Treasury, and other teams along with senior management, therefore, requires solid written/verbal communication to ensure clear and concise communications, effective collaboration and relationship building skills as well as organizational skills.
- Performs walkthroughs and provide consultation on existing and new processes and where appropriate facilitate documentation thereof including the identification of business risks and controls. Ensures that controls are in place to mitigate legal, regulatory and other applicable business risk. Where control gaps exist, provide consultation on the design of controls and monitor until execution.
- Provides consultation on and monitor timely execution of essential risk processes and requirements including, but not limited to, Business Continuity Planning and testing and Records Retention.
- Provides accounting leadership independently or to a cross-functional team to support the advancement of a specific business initiative. Focuses on one specific project or concentrated area of the business.
- Manages workload and resource allocation against team objectives by providing clear direction to peers, business partners, and Senior Manager or Director. Provides ongoing documentation of business results via project tracking documents. Communicates effectively with multiple levels of Management, providing information that is concise and relevant to the level of management.
- Executes reporting including operational risk events, key risk indicators, and business reviews in accordance with Company policies and standards.
Collaborates with business partners to ensure root cause analysis is performed and that appropriate corrective action plans are put in place to address issues stemming from the risk assessments, internal audits, regulatory findings, business unit test monitoring, operational risk incidents, and other applicable sources where gaps are identified.
- Provides significant contributions to month-end close with timely and accurate accounting/reporting relating to areas of responsibility, including allowance for credit losses and troubled debt restructuring, and support of Treasury and CRA related activities; also support meaningful analysis of performance trends and balance sheet/P&L variances.
- Establishes a thorough understanding of ACL and TDR processes, and effectively develop and document/support ACL and TDR approaches, ensuring analysis and consideration of relevant data and strategies, as well as compliance with GAAP and regulatory guidance. Produce related reporting/disclosure data for SEC/Regulatory/Consolidations teams.
- Ensures timely and accurate GL account reconciliations to subledger balances related to areas of responsibility, demonstrating thorough understanding of ledger accounts and reconciliations.
- Ensures compliance with Company policies related to manual journal entries, reconciliations, end use computing and documentation of procedures. Support management in the development/implementation of procedures, reporting and system changes necessary to support new initiatives and/or accounting/regulatory requirements.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Accounting, Finance, Business, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Risk Management, or Internal Controls
- In lieu of a degree, 15+ years of experience in Risk Management, Internal Controls or Finance, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master's Degree in Accounting or MBA, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Accounting, Finance, Business, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, risk management, or Internal Controls
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certification in Control Self-Assessment or Certified Risk Management Professional
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including proficiency with Excel and ability to leverage functions for working with large datasets; WDesk experience preferred
- Working knowledge of Hyperion and Essbase applications; Tableau preferred
- Experience with defining data/reporting requirements and related validation/testing a plus
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.