|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Azure SRE team has multiple opportunities to contribute to the reliability of the Azure platform. Our team works to make Azure’s near real-time telemetry and alerting platform more reliable and infinitely scalable. This work directly influences product decisions, improves customer experience, and enables faster response and notification to service disruptions for our most critical services.
As part of the team, you will work closely with product development and customer teams to provide solutions which improve the overall quality and reliability of Azure systems. You will write software and help set direction to build observability into Azure’s core systems and architectural constructs to make reliability a default for all of Azure’s products.
Our team has a wide variety of backgrounds including Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Physics and Psychology. Our diversity of knowledge and experience comes together for the benefit of our billions of daily users, our business, our colleagues, and ourselves.
We strongly believe that diverse experiences, backgrounds, and an environment where everyone can feel safe to contribute their own insights in a data-driven, objective, and supportive way is the key to making the best workplace possible, and the best workplace makes the best products and services. Not only is it the smart thing, but it’s also the right thing.
If you are excited by this type of challenge, and you love to work in groups of people who are similarly excited, come join us. We value the input of people who aren't afraid to be learning all the time, who embrace mistakes as they show the way forward, and those who are excited to continuously improve both services and themselves.
- Encourage a culture of observability and provide technical leadership to implement and scale observability across Azure
- Develop clean and thorough designs and code that exemplify quality, simplicity, and maintainability with global scalability
- Work across Azure’s internal systems and services to design, develop, launch, and improve platforms and processes that result in improved end-to-end reliability and maintainability
- Deliver clarity, communicate effectively and partner well with other disciplines of the project team to deliver high quality solutions from ideas to implemented solution
- Mentor and teach engineers across Azure to improve visibility, use of tools to diagnose and scale learnings through improved documentation and training
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science degree, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of software development experience in design, build or implementation of online services preferably in one of the public clouds (Azure, AWS, or GCP)
- 5+ years of experience using scripting languages such as Bash, Python, and PowerShell, or compiled language such as C, C# are most relevant, but others are acceptable
Preferred Qualifications: Create a list qualifications / skills that could be beneficial to this role, but are not required
- 7+ years in distributed systems management and software development with experience designing, building and implementing such services
- 3+ years of design, build, or implementation of distributed service health – Specifically desired is a deep understanding and familiarity with MELT (Monitoring, Events, Logging, and Tracing) design and implementation patterns for large-scale distributed services
- Experience working with Kubernetes or other container management systems
- Can act as a technical lead to build consensus and drive engineering solutions.
- Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate, and as an engineer.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.