|Location:||Redmond, Washington, Washington, District of Columbia|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is making deep investments to provide transformative cloud and computing power to critical infrastructure and government customers. Come join a new legal team in Microsoft’s Cloud + Artificial Intelligence (C+AI) legal group focused on furthering this core company priority. The newly formed Office of Critical Infrastructure is searching for an experienced attorney who can help address the complex and evolving legal, security, engineering, and public policy issues associated with providing cloud services to critical infrastructure sectors in the US and abroad. Come join us!
The new Office of Critical Infrastructure is dedicated to developing, clarifying, and harmonizing the global legal and regulatory environment associated with providing services to critical infrastructure. The Office will (1) work with regulators and policymakers around the world, and internally across Microsoft, to ensure that Microsoft cloud services meet the security and compliance needs of customers in critical sectors, and (2) help governments navigate potential complexities of new legal and regulatory regimes in a cloud-based environment. This position will focus on collaborating with legal and public policy professionals; external regulators; and internal engineering, sales, and standards experts to accelerate the adoption of cloud services in critical industry sectors.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring evolving legal and regulatory requirements related critical infrastructure sectors and developing Microsoft internal and external policy on the application of these requirements to cloud services
- Assist in developing a broader, global legal strategy to harmonize the legal, security, and regulatory requirements associated with providing critical technology to critical industries.
- Work with governments around the world as they consider critical infrastructure protection in a cloud-based environment.
- Collaborating with legal department colleagues and across Microsoft to counsel engineering and operational teams on the evolving requirements around use of cloud services in critical industry sectors
- Supporting customer engagements in critical industry sectors to understand, influence and implement contractual and compliance requirements in an environment of technological innovation and regulatory change
- Supporting the broader Corporate, Legal and External Affairs team on the above issues
We are looking for an experienced attorney who meets the following requirements:
- JD (or equivalent) and license to practice law in the US
- 5-9+ years as a practicing attorney in sophisticated legal environments
- Deep experience counseling clients on cybersecurity, critical infrastructure protection, risk management, cloud service operations, trade.
- Experience counseling and working with engineering or other non-legal clients on complex legal and regulatory issues related to critical infrastructure
- Outstanding communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills and attention to detail
- Desire and ability to work as part of a team and with diverse groups and cultures
- Law firm or in-house experience is a plus
- Willingness to be available for calls in other time zones outside of local business hours
We are looking for an attorney with the following additional skills:
- Keen business sense, ability to think strategically, and desire to establish a trusted advisor relationship with business clients
- Flexible and analytical thinker able to quickly and accurately identify legal issues in a complex environment and to develop solutions by exercising confident judgment in ambiguous situations
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, and prioritize workflow with minimal supervision
- Strong results orientation and customer focus
The above description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.