|Job Type:||Full Time|
Customer Experience Engineering Lead, Redmond
The opportunity around edge devices is huge and growing – there are already more connected things than people in the world!! These devices, ranging from tiny MCU-based sensor devices to powerful datacenter class servers, have a profound impact on our daily lives; from how we live, how we work, how we learn and how we connect. This growth continues to accelerate in a post-COVID world, with many of our customers and partners looking to accelerate their edge device implementations to find new ways to continue to conduct their business.
The Microsoft Azure Edge Devices (AED) team is chartered with building devices and experiences that help our ecosystem of partners and customers leverage Azure to accelerate their creation and adoption of the next generation of connected, intelligent, and autonomous edge solutions. We work across a wide range of industries, partner types, device form factors, and service technologies to enable new application scenarios, provide in-depth business insights and safeguard the security and privacy of our customer/partners data.
We are looking for a leader who thrives on working in a rewarding and fast paced start-up like environment and has a track record of leading innovative and impactful teams to create and lead our Customer Experience Engineering organization. The main objective of this organization will be to validate that the products built by the Azure Edge Devices team are designed for the right set of customer experiences and are built in a way that truly addresses the most impactful customer pain points and opportunities. Your team will partner closely with the AED engineering, product management, and program management teams to identify risks to customer experiences and product quality throughout the entire development lifecycle, with a goal to address issues as early in the product cycle as possible.
In this role you will recruit and hire a team of program managers, engineers and data scientists who have a proven track record of delivering V1 solutions that span hardware, firmware, and services. The team should be comfortable with the product/solution design and driving execution within AED and across partner teams. You and your team will be responsible for the following areas:
Drive End-to-End Product Validation
- Define the product experience quality bar, gates, and measurement activities required to develop and bring our products to market.
- Create and manage a framework for early experimentation. Work in collaboration with the Product Management and Design teams during the creation of product requirements to design and implement early prototyping and validation for planned products.
- Establish and run both MSFT-internal and customer-facing programs to validate HW/service quality and value “as built” (manual integration/experiences validation, selfhost and customer preview validation, etc.).
- Create and manage frameworks for ongoing data-driven product validation (i.e. experimentation platform and a/b testing frameworks).
Build Test Automation & Infrastructure
- Collaborate with the Development team to create test automation to validate 1P products & services.
- Provide test automation products & programs to 3P Device & Solution builders to support/accelerate their creation of high-quality “Azure Certified Devices/Solutions.”
Build Telemetry & Analytics Infrastructure
- Develop and analyze device/service telemetry to identify usage patterns and identify quality issues.
- Gather Telemetry from existing product sources to help validate/invalidate product direction. Tell the story about what the customer is DOING today with our products.
- Establish prioritized product recommendations based on ability to identify customers / partners with the need for targeted hardware and software experiences.
- Outstanding customer obsession and empathy for users.
- Minimum of 10 years of applicable experience in a technology-based product development role.
- Proficient leadership skills demonstrated through the management of extensive global engineering and related teams.
- BSc or higher in Software, Computer Engineering or equivalent required, MSc or PhD is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to clearly articulate and share your vision, ideas and plans with colleagues and to be able to deal constructively with opposing views or opinions.
- Experience working with Design teams and designers.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.