|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the Role
Samsara is searching for a resourceful and ambitious manager to define and direct the path for successful compliance across Samsara. In this role, you will be a critical foundational pillar for helping Samsara maintain compliance in a number of areas, including trade, FCPA/anti-bribery, federal government contracts, security, privacy, and Samsara’s own Code of Conduct and other policies. You will work closely with compliance and legal teams and also collaborate with other teams to develop, implement, and maintain appropriate procedures in North America and Europe.
You are someone who loves to investigate the technical details of a complex project or product, identify and assess risks, and propose realistic solutions that take into account competing business interests. You enjoy working across organizational functions (Finance, Product, IT, Legal, Supply Chain) to ensure requirements are understood and controls are implemented correctly. You welcome playing a crucial role in engaging with external parties, including auditors, regulators, and customers as needed. You have a strong background working on compliance audits and acting as a liaison between the business and auditors during on site activities, and you feel comfortable taking on new compliance-related frameworks in different substantive areas. You have strong technical writing skills, and you feel comfortable explaining technical concepts to business executives.
This role requires an independent yet collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and who can work across multiple teams. We value individuals who are always willing to consider new ideas and do not fall prey to entrenched modes of thought. We want you to be a force-multiplier; making those around you more effective. You have strong communication and interpersonal skills and are comfortable in stressful situations. You focus on the details, and you also have the broad vision to bring large and multi-stepped projects to completion.
In this role, you will:
- Define and direct various compliance programs as part of the Compliance and Legal Teams, and contribute broadly to the growth and success of Compliance at Samsara
- Track relevant supply-chain and financial regulatory developments and devise and implement strategies to use those developments to drive business objectives
- Provide support to Product, Engineering, Customer Support, and Supply Chain teams on issues relating to technology compliance, including in Europe and Latin America
- Motivate, mentor, challenge, inspire, and grow the Compliance and Legal Teams
- Work very closely with many cross-functional teams to communicate and integrate control requirements (Finance, Product, IT, Legal, Supply Chain)
- Identify and manage risks and work with project teams to identify appropriate solutions
- Manage, track, and report compliance-related remediation to project teams and Samsara executives
- Develop metrics and reporting to demonstrate compliance status and engagement
- Provide ongoing guidance and consultation to the company
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally
An ideal candidate:
- 5+ years demonstrated compliance experience that includes managing people
- BA/BS with a strong academic record
- Excellent communicator, project manager, and team player
- Clear, concise, and persuasive technical writer
- Superb ability to represent data in graphical form
- Successful experience managing and working with auditors
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers
- Adaptable, flexible, and creative
- Aptitude for developing and maintaining strong working cross-functional relationships
- A practical and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature, and calm under fire
- 2+ years experience at a Big 4 audit firm and/or in-house risk management role
- Working knowledge of EAR, OFAC, and AML regulations
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.